Antique festival held today
Access points on Fisher River open
Parking proposal approved 3-2
Last cruise-in will be scary
More water collection points announced
- Antique festival held today - 1:43 am
- County seeks to nullify foreclosure - 1:25 am
- Land owner still hopes for sewer - 1:07 am
- Health Department Inspections - 12:10 am
- Access points on Fisher River open - 5:49 pm
- Parking proposal approved 3-2 - 3:28 am
- Last cruise-in will be scary - 2:26 am
- Early voting off to ‘very good’ start - 6:20 pm
- Health Department Inspections - 3:09 pm updated: 5:39 pm.
- More water collection points announced - 12:59 pm
- Local racing legend honored at track - 1:06 am
- Surry County Sheriff’s reports - 11:52 pm
- Free Medicare workshops scheduled in county - 9:45 pm
- County collecting water for hurricane victims - 5:41 pm updated: 5:41 pm.
- Surry Cellars wins wine competition - 4:26 pm
- City schools to host community night - 11:14 am
- County Board honors retirees - 11:09 am
- Health Department Inspections - 2:29 am
- Dobson holds daddy-daughter dance - 1:05 am
- City to consider parking lot deal - 1:03 am
- Sister newspapers band together in storm’s wake - 10:58 pm
- Locals lending storm relief - 6:05 pm
- Ribbon-cutting event set for greenway - 1:41 am
- Festival brings few issues for authorities - 12:58 am
- Sewer extension plans could be flushed - 12:34 am
- Police reports - 12:20 am
- Dobson woman dies after rollover - 5:40 pm
- Drug take-backs under way at schools - 1:30 pm updated: 1:30 pm.
- Autumn Leaves attracts large crowds - 2:52 am
- Local charity may become homeless - 2:42 am
- Health Department Inspections - 2:17 am
- Most Wanted - 1:59 am
- Food of the Autumn Leaves Festival - 1:57 am
- Board to consider imagery contract - 1:45 am updated: 1:45 am.
- Marriages - 12:08 am
- Sheriff’s reports - 8:13 pm
- View Story - 8:12 pm updated: 3:32 pm.
- Run, health fair to aid clinic - 2:15 am
- Airport official defends Facebook post - 2:09 am
- Superior Court briefs - 1:52 am
- Fall festival kicks off 50th edition - 5:48 pm
- Ivy Green Baptist celebrating a century - 4:18 am
- Autumn Leaves holds 50th festival - 2:24 am
- Cornshucking Frolic coming soon - 12:50 am
- Police reports - 12:07 am
- More sentencing date changes in Arnder case - 11:25 pm
- Sheriff paints bleak picture of abuse issue - 6:44 pm
- September was hotter than usual - 4:02 am
- Duke awards Pilot Middle $10,000 - 3:28 am
- Local actress relishes ‘real-world’ roles - 12:44 am
More water collection points announced
DOBSON — Additional water collection points have been announced as part of the Surry County Board of Commissioners’ mission to collect wat...
Surry County Sheriff’s reports
DOBSON — Robert Walter Smith, 44, of Old Highway 601, Mount Airy, was arrested Oct. 12 and charged with seven counts of obtaining property by fa...
Free Medicare workshops scheduled in county
A group of local experts will lead two free workshops on Medicare enrollment — one on Friday in Pilot Mountain, and the other in Elkin on Nov. 1...
County collecting water for hurricane victims
DOBSON — Surry County is orchestrating an effort to aid victims of Hurricane Matthew.At Monday’s meeting of the county Board of Commission...
Surry Cellars wins wine competition
Surry Cellars, the label for wine produced at Surry Community College, was recently awarded the title of Best Sparkling for its Lot 151 wine in the 20...
Eagles, Hounds meet in key WPAC game
The next-to-last Surry County “rivalry game” will be contested tonight, and there’s much more on the line for Surry Central and Nort...
MCA spikers reach CAASC Final Four
It looks like the powerhouse volleyball teams of North Surry, East Surry and Mount Airy high schools will have to make room for a group of girls from ...
NS outlasts W. Stokes for WPAC tourney title
KING — North Surry was pushed to the limit in its quest to continue an eight-year reign over the Western Piedmont Athletic Conference.The Lady G...
Lady Cards take NW1A tourney crown
PILOT MOUNTAIN — If East Surry’s volleyball team ends up making 2016 a season to remember, the Lady Cardinals might look back at the decid...
Lady Hounds in WPAC final
KING — North Surry is on its way back to the championship match of the Western Piedmont Athletic Conference.The Lady Hounds advanced to tonight&...
Chapman, Koubenec to wed
Abigail Eliza Koubenec and Michael Alexander Chapman, together with their families, announce their engagement and upcoming marriage.The bride-to-be is...
God’s wonderful book – the Holy Bible
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the...
Michael James draws the schools
Michael James graduated from the Architecture School at Clemson University in 1993 but soon found that his real passion lay in drawing buildings rathe...
The evolution of tacos — Volume 1
Most American cities, and Mount Airy is no exception, do not yet have a taco truck on every corner but that does not mean that tacos, and the interest...
Going the second mile
“Whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him (two)” Matthew 5:41.We’ve all used the term, “Go the second mile.”...
Expand your soup season repertoire
As the temperatures begin to drop and the days shorten, it can only mean one thing.Soup weather is almost upon us. The air already smells like fall an...
Players always looking for an advantage
Someone asked me the other day why I haven’t written about politics lately in my weekly column.It’s simple. I’d rather be bashed in ...
A festival with no garden of joy
Every year tens of thousands of folks pack the streets of Mount Airy for the Autumn Leaves Festival.It’s an important event, as it creates reven...
TREE CEO sorry for missing Mount Airy
To the Editor,A group of experienced cyclists on the road functions like a single nervous system.Each rider, like a sensory cell, continually assesses...
Parking and presidential politics
I rarely, I mean very rarely, do this.I’m going to rant a little bit in my column today.About people who simply seem to think they are better th...
You Said It
You Said It is a periodic feature of The Mount Airy News, where we share comments we’ve received on Facebook, via Twitter, or on our website, mt...
Small Business Center offering free seminars
Surry Community College’s Small Business Center will be holding free seminars and workshops in August at various locations in Surry and Yadkin c...
Leonards names operations manager
Leonard Building and Truck Accessories has announced the hiring of Joe Robbins as operations manager.Leonard is a manufacturer and seller of trailers,...
WorkForce Unlimited acquires Laurinburg operation
WorkForce Unlimited, a full-service staffing firm based in Mount Airy, recently announced it had acquired the light industrial staffing division of As...
Free business seminars set for May
The Small Business Center at Surry Community College will be holding several free seminars and workshops in May at various locations in Surry and Yadk...
Leonard hosting job fair, open house Friday
With a number of positions ready to fill, Leonard Building and Truck Accessories, a manufacturing and sales business for trailers, storage buildings, ...
Golf Cart Outlet a firemen affair
A local golf cart specialist is planning a ribbon cutting and open house to celebrate becoming an authorized dealer for a leading manufacturer.Golf Ca...