First Posted: 7/16/2009
Submissions to the Church Calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought in to The Mount Airy News office before 5 p.m. Tuesday in order to be published in Fridays issue. Be sure to include the full name and address of the church; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, 319 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or e-mailed to [email protected]
Benefits and Fundraisers
– Westview Baptist Church in Cana, Va., will be having a car wash, bake sale and hot dog lunch sale July 25 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Two hot dogs, chips and a drink are $4 a plate. Eating in or taking out are available. Proceeds go to the churchs youth group.
– A benefit for Flat Top Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery Trust Fund will be held Aug. 1 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Beulah Ruritan Club, rain or shine. Enjoy a day of community fellowship. Breakfast will be $2 and includes a biscuit and coffee or juice. Lunch will be $3 and includes a hot dog, chips, dessert and drink. A yard sale will begin at 8 a.m. with clothing and household items. A raffle drawing for $100 of gas will start at 11 a.m. Tickets will be available from committee members and on the day of the sale. An auction sale will begin at 11 a.m. Various items will be sold. For more information, contact Carol Shackleford at 352-4295 or Clarence Goings at 783-9165.
– The Community Church, 280 ONeal Road, Mount Airy, will be having summer revival with Bro. Don Collins today and Saturday starting at 7:30 p.m. each night. There will be special singing nightly. For more information, call 374-5323.
– Amazing Grace Nondenominational Ministers, 446 W. Pine St., Mount Airy, will be having revival today and Saturday starting at 7 p.m. Everyone is invited.
– The Ushers of First Samuels Grove PPB Church will be having its anniversary on Sunday at 3 p.m. The guest preacher will be the Rev. James Tatum, pastor of Mt. Moriah Baptist Church, along with his choir and congregation. Everyone is invited to attend.
– The New Gospel Highlight of Mount Airy will be performing on Sunday at 4 p.m. at Freedom Progressive Baptist Church, off N.C. 103 in the Timberlake community. Special guest groups The Family Five of Martinsville, Va., and The Draiper Family of Martinsville, Va., will also be performing.
– The Whisnants will be performing at Friendly Chapel Church in Pilot Mountain July 25 at 7 p.m. Admission is free, but a love offering will be taken.
Vacation Bible School
– First Samuels Grove PPB Church will be holding a one-day Vacation Bible School camp on Saturday starting at 10 a.m. Everyone is invited to attend.
– Vacation Bible School will be held at Mount Airy First Pentecostal Holiness Church Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
– Vacation Bible School will be held at Blue Hollow Baptist Church, Slate Mountain Road, Mount Airy, Saturday through Wednesday with Pastor Rickey Martin. Saturday will be the kick off at Homeplace Park from 6 to 9 p.m. Food will be served from 6 to 7 p.m. and swimming will be from 7 to 9 p.m. with lifeguard provided. There will be no charge for swimming and food. Bible school classes will begin Sunday and be from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
– Central United Methodist Church will be holding Vacation Bible School Sunday through Wednesday. On Sunday, a hot dog supper will be held at 5 p.m. Bible school will be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Registration will take place on Sunday from 4:45 to 5 p.m.
– Highland Park Baptist Church will hold its annual Vacation Bible School Sunday through next Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. each evening. There will be classes for all ages and adults will meet from 7 to 8 p.m.
– Willow Hill Moravian Church will be having Vacation Bible School Sunday through next Friday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. each night. All ages are welcome. For more information, call 710-8205 or email [email protected]
– Salem Fork Baptist Church Vacation Bible School registration will be held Sunday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Dobson Pool. Bible school will be held Monday through next Friday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. A meal will be provided each night.
– Vacation Bible School will be held at Mount Airy Christian Church, South Franklin Road, July 23-26, Thursday and Friday from 6 to 8:40 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sunday 5 p.m. until. For more information, call 789-6394.
– Salem United Methodist Church, 2591 Wards Gap Road, Mount Airy, is holding Vacation Bible School July 27-29 from 6 to 8 p.m. Classes are being offered from toddlers to adults. A light supper will be held for the youth participants at 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
– Vacation Bible School will be held at First Baptist Church in Mount Airy Aug. 9-13.
– Mount Bethel Moravian in Cana, Va., is having a Christmas Party Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to celebrate Jesus birthday in July. There will be a cookout for parents and students after Bible school. Everyone is invited.
– Mount Zion Baptist Church at Ararat is seeking craft vendors for its autumn fair scheduled Sept. 12 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Interested crafters are asked to call Jean at 374-5804 for further details.
– Livingwater Baptist Church is looking for laborers to work in Gods vineyards. Come worship and labor where Gods fields are white into harvest. For more information, call Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500 or 429-8712.
– The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
– A free soup kitchen is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
– Food assistance for the hungry in the community is provided each Thursday at 8:30 a.m. by Trinity Episcopal Church.
– Meetings for those healing from a broken marriage, each Tuesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Genesis Full Gospel Church on Sparger Road. Everyone is invited, with more information available at 351-4718.
– The Apostolic Ministerial Association is seeking new ministers of the Apostolic faith in order to encourage meetings with others that can help improve individual ministries. Those interested may call 789-1569 or 325-8081.
– Mens interdenominational Bible study and prayer breakfast, 7 to 8 a.m. each Wednesday at Prime Sirloin Restaurant in Mount Airy. All interested men are invited.
– GriefShare, a bi-weekly video seminar featuring experts on grief-recovery topics which is geared toward grieving persons or their supporters in a group-participation environment, is held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 6:15 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road. More information is available at 786-4778.
– Holy Angels Catholic Church weekly Evening Prayer Service, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 1208 N. Main St., Mount Airy. The service includes giving thanks for the gifts of the day and reflection; Evening Prayer hymns and psalms and Scripture readings; time for silent prayer and meditation; and prayers of intercession for the church, world and all those in need. Father Eric Kowalski, Holy Angels pastor, invites everyone to attend.
– Compassion Circle gatherings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at L.H. Jones Resource Center, 215 Jones School Road. A circle of friends offers love, hope, faith and spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, with everyone welcome. More information is available at 786-1455.
– Livingwater Baptist Church, 125 Starlight Road, Mount Airy, is launching a new ministry. The King James Bible RadioNetwork is being broadcast on WGIW 89.7 in Pilot Mountain. The station will be devoted to old time gospel preaching from the King James 1611 Bible and traditional gospel singing 24 hours a day. Churches and preachers desiring broadcast time and wishing to have their announcements broadcast, contact Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500.