First Posted: 5/27/2009
DOBSON Forty students from Surry and Stokes counties were named the recipients of a Shelton Family scholarship and were honored at a reception Wednesday afternoon at the Hampton Inn at Shelton Vineyards.
Students from Surry County, Mount Airy City, Elkin City and Stokes County schools had the opportunity to meet and thank Charlie Shelton in person at the reception to recognize their accomplishments. This is the second year the $1,000 scholarships have been presented.
The scholarships have the option of renewal as long as the students show that they are working towards a degree or certificate. It is open to seniors in Surry and Stokes counties who plan to attend Surry Community College or Forsyth Technical Community College. The money will be put into a student account at the students college of choice with $500 available for the fall semester and $500 available for the spring semester.
Thats a lot of money thats going back into Surry County. Its their heart that is in this, said Dr. Ashley Hinson, superintendent of Surry County Schools, of the Shelton familys decision to create a scholarship fund.
Charlie Shelton was at the reception to represent the Shelton family.
What you dont understand is what a pleasure it is for us to be able to do this, he told the students. I do love Surry County and I always have.
He spoke to them about why the family decided not to place the emphasis on grades for the scholarship, but rather on character. He spoke of his own experiences, starting out with little and working hard to build Shelton Vineyards.
Grades are not always the best. I found out what I had to do to succeed and I worked at it, he said.
Your character will take you far more than $1,000, said Hinson.
Dr. Deborah Friedman, president of Surry Community College, was there to represent the school. She was able to participate in reading the 50 applications for the scholarships.
It wasnt just your academic success, she told the students at the reception. It was the fact that you were able to balance. You were giving of yourself to others. Those are people we want to have in our communities and in our college.
The 2009 Shelton Family Scholarships recipients are:
– East Surry High School Brittany Boles, Ryan Haymore, Ashley Michele Horn, Cole Taylor Phillips, Cody Andrew Rodgers, Jessica Sams, Joshua Tucker and Britney Wright.
– North Surry High School Krista Lauren Atkins, Leon Augustus Bono, Savannah Breshea Hawks, Tabitha Lynn Haymore, Keisha Kirkman, Beverly Renee Lee, Kimberly Faythe Newman, Cody Preston Palmer, Allison Parsons, Carson Gray Ramey, Jonathan Shelton and Jordan Upchurch.
– Surry Central High School Emma Carolina Belcher, Savanna Raye Bowman, Kristie Lee Combs, Jaylynn Cropps, Lance Harlow Edwards, Coley Davis Hodges, Amanda Lee Parker, Myra McKinley Riggans and Stella-Lynn Sprinkle.
– Mount Airy High School Savannah Leigh Williams.
– Elkin High School Charles Ferguson, Holly McBride, Ashley Snow and David Lee Tilley Jr.
– North Stokes High School Marah Nelson.
– South Stokes High School Amanda Dawn Shelton and Sarah Ellen Winters.
– West Stokes High School Ashley Jeanette Denny and Amanda Sizemore.
Contact Morgan Wall at [email protected] or 719-1929.