First Posted: 11/26/2009
Submissions to the Church Calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought in to The Mount Airy News office before 5 p.m. Tuesday in order to be published in Fridays issue. Be sure to include the full name and address of the church; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, 319 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or e-mailed to [email protected]
Benefits and Fundraisers
– Zephyr Missionary Baptist Church, Poplar Springs Road, Elkin, will be holding a community can food drive on Dec. 12 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., rain or shine.
– Mallalieu-Jones United Methodist Church, 231 N. South St., Mount Airy, will be holding a fish-fry fundraiser. The cost is $4 for a fish sandwich and a drink. This fundraiser will be held every Friday.
– New Life Baptist Church will be having a Chrismon service on Sunday at 6 p.m. Refreshments and fellowship will follow in the fellowship hall.
– A special fifth Sunday service will be held on Sunday at 6 p.m. with a special singing and testimonials at Pleasant View Baptist Church. Refreshments will be served in the fellowship hall at 5 p.m. following the service.
– Hanging of the Greens will be held at Westfield Baptist Church on Sunday at 6 p.m. Refreshments and fellowship will follow in the fellowship hall.
– Hanging of the Greens will be held at Mount Airy Christian Church, 974 S. Franklin Road, on Sunday at 6 p.m. The Bellisma Ringer Quartet will be performing and light refreshments will be served after the service.
– Bannertown Baptist Church will have the Hanging of the Greens service on Sunday at 7 p.m. directed by Cheryl Hicks.
Flat Rock Baptist Church will have Hanging of the Greens service on Sunday at 6 p.m. Refreshments and fellowship will follow after the service.
– Ivy Green Church will have Hanging of the Greens at 6 p.m. on Sunday followed by fellowship and refreshments.
– Faith Tabernacle E. P. Church, 559 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy, will have Church In Action Sunday from 10 a.m. to noon. There will be a special preaching and singing. For more information, call 325-8081 or 789-1569.
– Lighthouse Baptist Church, 580 Priddy Farm Road, Rural Hall, will have revival on Sunday at 6 p.m., Monday at 7 p.m. and Tuesday at 7 p.m. with special preaching by Bro. Jason Holley, youth pastor of Hanes Baptist Church in Winston-Salem. A special singing will be performed nightly.
– Candlelight Christmas in Rockford will be held Dec. 3 and 4 at 7:30 p.m. at Rockford Methodist Church. There will be special music each night with this Christmas tradition led by Dr. Gena Poovey, professor of music at Limestone College in Gaffney, S.C. Refreshments will be served following both programs in the church.
– Vessels of Clay will be singing at Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church on Sunday at 6 p.m.
– Vessels of Clay will be performing during the 11 a.m. worship service on Sunday at Rockford Street United Methodist Church.
– The Bledsoes will be performing at Woodland Baptist Church at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.
– The Emmaus Road Quartet will be singing at Eastside Baptist Church on Dec. 6 at 6 p.m.
– The Cody Kirsch Family Team for Relay for Life will be sponsoring a No Room at the Inn at First Baptist Church on Dec. 5 and 12 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is a large display of nativity scenes, more than 200. Some are from other countries, collectors items, family heirlooms, handmade and special. Donations will be accepted. All proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society. Church groups are invited. For more information, call Leonard Kirsch at 710-6396 or Sue Krepps at 648-1064.
– Grace Moravian Church will be holding Bible study each week on Thursdays from 7 to 8 p.m. with Pastor Tony Hayworth.
– Trinity Episcopal Church, 472 N. Main St., Mount Airy, is holding Inquirers Classes on Wednesdays from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to come and learn about church, its theology, its history and its ministry in the world. For more information, call 786-6067 or email [email protected]
– Calvary Baptist Church has opened a clothes closet ministry on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. If someone is in need of clothes at other times, call the church office at 786-4778.
– Livingwater Baptist Church is looking for laborers to work in Gods vineyards. Come worship and labor where Gods fields are white into harvest. For more information, call Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500 or 429-8712.
– The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
– A free soup kitchen is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
– Food assistance for the hungry in the community is provided each Thursday at 8:30 a.m. by Trinity Episcopal Church.
– Meetings for those healing from a broken marriage, each Tuesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Genesis Full Gospel Church on Sparger Road. Everyone is invited, with more information available at 351-4718.
– The Apostolic Ministerial Association is seeking new ministers of the Apostolic faith in order to encourage meetings with others that can help improve individual ministries. Those interested may call 789-1569 or 325-8081.
– Mens interdenominational Bible study and prayer breakfast, 7 to 8 a.m. each Wednesday at Prime Sirloin Restaurant in Mount Airy. All interested men are invited.
– GriefShare, a bi-weekly video seminar featuring experts on grief-recovery topics which is geared toward grieving persons or their supporters in a group-participation environment, is held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 6:15 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road. Surviving the Holidays is a program that will be held on Nov. 17 at 6:30 p.m. for those who have lost a loved one. More information is available at 786-4778.
– Holy Angels Catholic Church weekly Evening Prayer Service, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 1208 N. Main St., Mount Airy. The service includes giving thanks for the gifts of the day and reflection; Evening Prayer hymns and psalms and Scripture readings; time for silent prayer and meditation; and prayers of intercession for the church, world and all those in need. Father Eric Kowalski, Holy Angels pastor, invites everyone to attend.
– Compassion Circle gatherings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at L.H. Jones Resource Center, 215 Jones School Road. A circle of friends offers love, hope, faith and spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, with everyone welcome. More information is available at 786-1455.
– Livingwater Baptist Church, 125 Starlight Road, Mount Airy, is launching a new ministry. The King James Bible RadioNetwork is being broadcast on 89.7 in Pilot Mountain. The station will be devoted to old time gospel preaching from the King James 1611 Bible and traditional gospel singing 24 hours a day. Churches and preachers desiring broadcast time and wishing to have their announcements broadcast, contact Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500.
– Fountain of Life will be having a clothing closet that is free to the public on Tuesdays from 1 to 3 p.m.