First Posted: 9/17/2009
Submissions to the Church Calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought in to The Mount Airy News office before 5 p.m. Tuesday in order to be published in Fridays issue. Be sure to include the full name and address of the church; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, 319 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or e-mailed to [email protected]
Benefits and Fundraisers
– Faith Baptist Church will be having yard sale, car wash and hot dog fundraiser on Saturday from 7 a.m. until. Proceeds will go to a local nursing home at Christmas.
– The annual Brotherhood Auction will be held at High Park Baptist Church on Saturday. Hot dogs and drinks will be available for purchase at 5 p.m. and the auction will start at 6 p.m. Proceeds go to Brotherhood mission projects.
– Salem United Methodist Church will be having a harvest sale on Sept. 25 and 26. For sale are pumpkins, sweet potatoes and apples, red and yellow delicious staymans. The sale will be held at the Thomas House Bed and Breakfast on North Main Street in Mount Airy. Proceeds go to the building fund.
– St. Paul Church of the Brethren will be having a ham supper on Sept. 26 from 4 to 7:30 p.m. Adult plates are $7 and childrens plates, under the age of 12, are $4. Carry outs are available. Each plate includes ham, green beans, apples, potato salad, roll, dessert and drink.
– On Oct. 3, Salem United Methodist Church will be having a big country breakfast with country ham, sausage, bacon, gravy, grits, eggs, biscuits, apples, homemade apple butter and sourwood honey. Breakfast is $6. There will also be a bake sale, crafts and a yard sale. Breakfast will be held from 7 to 10 a.m., and the bazaar will be held until 2 p.m. Proceeds will go to the church UMW.
– The 32nd annual Harvest Sale and Barbecue Buffet Supper will be held Oct. 3 at Level Cross United Methodist Church, corner of N.C. 268 and Siloam Road. There will be a yard sale, bake sale, crafts and concessions. The supper with all the fixings will be from 4:30 to 7 p.m. The cost is $7 per plate. Barbecue will be sold by the pound, available all day, for $7.
– The sixth annual Golf Tournament, sponsored by the Wesleyan Men of Mount Airy Wesleyan Church on Oct. 3 at 10 a.m. at Skyland Lakes Golf Course. The cost is $50 per person and participants must sign up by Sept. 26. The format is Captains Choice. Mulligans are $5 each and teams are limited to four players. First place team wins $200; second place wins $120; and third place wins $80. All proceeds go to projects and needs in the church and community. For more information, call Don Shelton at 789-4629.
– Epworth UMC in Cana, Va., will be having family night on Friday at 6:30 p.m. Pizza will be served in the fellowship hall followed by a gospel singing featuring The Epworth Singers.
Mount Airy Calvary Assembly of God will be having a praise and worship seminar on Sunday at 6 p.m.
– On Sunday, Imogene Baptist Church, 134 W. Imogene Church Road, will have homecoming. Revival will be lead by Bro. Don Ball on Monday and Tuesday and by Bros. Don Ball and Rayton Puckett Wednesday through next Friday.
– Epworth United Methodist Church in Cana, Va., will be having homecoming on Sunday. The service will begin at 11 a.m. with the Rev. Bud Cameron speaking.
– Dobson Church of God, 132 Collins Road, Dobson, is having revival on Sunday through Wednesday at 7 p.m. For more information, call 374-3248
– Little Richmond Baptist Church will be having homecoming Sunday through next Friday. Services will begin at 7 p.m. each night. The church is on N.C. 268 between Elkin and the U.S. 601 intersection.
– New Beginning Baptist Church, 1959 Bud Tilley Road, Pinnacle, will have revival Monday through next Friday at 7 p.m. each night with guest speaker the Rev. Jerry King. A special singing will be performed each night.
– Laurel Bluff Baptist Church, 127 Bluff Road, Mount Airy, will be holding its homecoming on Sept. 27 at the 11 a.m. service. A lunch will follow.
– Bannertown Baptist Church is having homecoming on Sept. 27 with guest speaker Billy Blakely at the 11 a.m. service. Bring a well-filled picnic basket.
– Asbury Presbyterian Church is having homecoming on Sept. 27 from 10 a.m. to noon with lunch in the fellowship hall after the service. Revival will be Oct. 11-13 with special music and speakers.
– Rejoice will perform in concert at Mount Airy Church of God, 1313 Carter St., on Sunday at 6 p.m. The concert is free and a love offering will be received. For more information, call 789-2517.
– Mount Airy Wesleyan Church, 2063 S. Main St., will host the Kinders in concert on Sunday at 5:30 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-7250.
– A gospel singing will be held in the Carroll County High School Auditorium, Hillsville, Va., on Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. Performing will be The Inspirations and New River Boys. Tickets are on sale at Cox Realty, Galax, Va.; Roys Diamond Center, Galax, Va.; Nuckolls Drug, Hillsville, Va.; and Danas Hair Styling, Hillsville, Va. Tickets are $10. Children younger than 12 are free. For more information, call (276) 233-6571.
– The Hollingsworth family reunion will be held Sunday at Albion Community Church at 12:15 p.m. The meeting is regarding the upkeep of the church and cemetery. There will be a meal at 1 p.m.
– The 107th annual session of Surry Baptist Association will be held at Haymore Memorial Baptist Church on Oct. 26 at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. A meal will be served from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
– Trinity Episcopal Church, 472 N. Main St., Mount Airy, is holding Inquirers Classes on Wednesdays from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to come and learn about church, its theology, its history and its ministry in the world. For more information, call 786-6067 or email [email protected]
– Starting Sept. 2, Calvary Baptist Church is opening up a clothes closet ministry on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. If someone is in need of clothes at other times, call the church office at 786-4778.
– Livingwater Baptist Church is looking for laborers to work in Gods vineyards. Come worship and labor where Gods fields are white into harvest. For more information, call Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500 or 429-8712.
– The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
– A free soup kitchen is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
– Food assistance for the hungry in the community is provided each Thursday at 8:30 a.m. by Trinity Episcopal Church.
– Meetings for those healing from a broken marriage, each Tuesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Genesis Full Gospel Church on Sparger Road. Everyone is invited, with more information available at 351-4718.
– The Apostolic Ministerial Association is seeking new ministers of the Apostolic faith in order to encourage meetings with others that can help improve individual ministries. Those interested may call 789-1569 or 325-8081.
– Mens interdenominational Bible study and prayer breakfast, 7 to 8 a.m. each Wednesday at Prime Sirloin Restaurant in Mount Airy. All interested men are invited.
– GriefShare, a bi-weekly video seminar featuring experts on grief-recovery topics which is geared toward grieving persons or their supporters in a group-participation environment, is held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 6:15 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road. More information is available at 786-4778.
– Holy Angels Catholic Church weekly Evening Prayer Service, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 1208 N. Main St., Mount Airy. The service includes giving thanks for the gifts of the day and reflection; Evening Prayer hymns and psalms and Scripture readings; time for silent prayer and meditation; and prayers of intercession for the church, world and all those in need. Father Eric Kowalski, Holy Angels pastor, invites everyone to attend.
– Compassion Circle gatherings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at L.H. Jones Resource Center, 215 Jones School Road. A circle of friends offers love, hope, faith and spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, with everyone welcome. More information is available at 786-1455.
– Livingwater Baptist Church, 125 Starlight Road, Mount Airy, is launching a new ministry. The King James Bible RadioNetwork is being broadcast on WGIW 89.7 in Pilot Mountain. The station will be devoted to old time gospel preaching from the King James 1611 Bible and traditional gospel singing 24 hours a day. Churches and preachers desiring broadcast time and wishing to have their announcements broadcast, contact Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500.