Eagles and Cards win in OT

First Posted: 10/15/2009

Surry Central 1, Bishop McGuinness 0 OT

KERNERSVILLE Surry Central effectively clinched the Northwest 1A/2A Conference championship Thursday with a 1-0 overtime defeat of Bishop McGuinness.
Centrals Antonio Talavera sent home the game winning goal from an assist by Bernardo Leandro eight minutes into the first overtime period.
With Bishop being Centrals main competition for the title, Eagle coach Blake Roth said winning the title in a hostile environment makes it that much sweeter.
It was muddy and it was cold, Roth said. Seriously though, coach Richardson and I wouldnt have changed it at all. It was something special to take it at their place. With the conditions we knew it would be a dogfight and we knew they wouldnt back down. They studied our players and they were ready. It is the first conference championship for these kids and its been a special night. I am tickled to death for them.
Bishop outshot Central throughout the game, and Roth credited much of the win to goal keeper Jose Diaz, who stopped five point blank Bishop shots to keep his team alive in regulation.
Central improves to 17-1 overall and 12-0 in Northwest 1A/2A Conference play.

East Surry 4, South Stokes 3 2OT

East Surry picked up one of the most exciting wins in school history Thursday, topping South Stokes in the final minute of double overtime.
The Sauras Cole Greene kicked off the scoring with an unassisted goal just two minutes into the first half.
East Surry then hurt itself with an uncharacteristic own goal just 10 minutes later.
The Cardinals rebounded however, with Jorge Salas putting East on the board with a goal of his own off a Damian Padron assist.
Down 2-1 at the half, Salas didnt waste any time getting the Cards off to a quick start. Salas took the opening kickoff of the second half straight up field and centered to Jonah Easter who put the ball underneath the Saura goalie to tie the score at 2-2.
Salas then scored his second goal of the game in the 56th minute to give East a 3-2 lead, this time unassisted.
The Cardinals held until Greene struck again, equalizing with just five minutes left in regulation.
With two, 10-minute overtimes and no golden goals, East was in for a long ride, with neither team scoring for the first 19 minutes of the overtime periods.
It was not until Brian Keith found Easter on the left side with less than a minute remaining could coach Bill Hart breath easy.
Two years ago we tied South Stokes in overtime in the last five seconds and that was the most exciting game we have had since I have been coach until this one, Hart said. I am most proud of the way our guys, down 2 -0, playing poorly, stayed within themselves and played team ball and came back as a unit.
East Surry improves to 10-6-1 overall and 7-4-1 in conference play. With the win, the Cardinals finish the season undefeated at home.

comments powered by Disqus