SCC starts contest Biggest Loser


First Posted: 1/14/2009

DOBSON The Surry Community College Student Government Association is sponsoring a Biggest Loser competition this semester.
The idea was brought up by the SGA vice president, and the association gained the support of the physical education department on campus. The competition is open to students and faculty at the college for a minimal fee.
The event kicks off Jan. 26 at 6 p.m. in the gym, and participants will meet on the second Monday of each month through May 4. The cost is $10 for students enrolled in a physical education class and $20 for those who are not. The cost for all faculty is $10.
Contestants will weigh in twice each month, once at the monthly meeting and again on their own, but it must be certified by a member of the physical education department. There will also be a health-related speaker at each meeting. The first speaker will talk about healthy weight loss in an effort to help people safely begin the competition.
Weve had a good response with it so far. We are excited about it, said Danielle Cave, president of the Student Government Association. Keep your New Years resolutions and just do your best.
The hope is that the competition will provide a way for students and faculty to mingle outside the classroom. There will be a student winner and a faculty winner, and each will receive a cash prize. The winners will receive 40 percent of the money raised with the other 60 percent going to the American Diabetes Association.
Anyone interested in receiving more information about the competition should contact Danielle Cave at [email protected] or Tony Searcy at [email protected]
Contact Morgan Wall at [email protected] or 719-1929.

comments powered by Disqus