First Posted: 6/18/2009
Submissions to the Church Calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought in to The Mount Airy News office before 5 p.m. Tuesday in order to be published in Fridays issue. Be sure to include the full name and address of the church; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, P.O. Box 808, Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or e-mailed to [email protected]
Benefits and Fundraisers
– Woodville Baptist Church will be having a benefit dinner for its building fund today from 5 to 7:30 p.m. On the menu is pinto beans, potatoes, hot dogs, desserts and drinks.
– The WMU of Victory Baptist Church, 2120 Riverside Drive, will hold a community yard sale on Saturday in the church gym starting at 7 a.m. to raise funds for missions projects. Tables are available for $10 each and vendors keep all the proceeds for their sales. Refreshments will be sold by the WMU. If interested in renting a table, call Christy at 443-9259. Tables are limited.
– Lovells Chapel United Methodist Church, 317 Depot St., Pilot Mountain, will be holding a yard sale from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday in the church house yard beside the church.
– Solid Rock Baptist Church will be sponsoring a yard sale to benefit an orphanage in Romania from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, at the old car lot across from Scenic Ford on Rockford Street in Mount Airy.
– Friendly Tabernacle Church, Slate Road, in the Flat Rock community, will have a yard sale Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Proceeds benefit the church fellowship hall project.
– Woodland Baptist Church youth will have a car wash Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Advance Auto on N.C. 89. Cost is donations only. For more information, call 756-9302.
– The Holy Church of God, 342 Galloway St., will have revival through Sunday. The Rev. Richard Casstevens will be preaching. Everyone is invited to come. A special singing will be performed every night.
– A youth assembly will be held at Faith Tabernacle E.P. Church, 559 S. Franklin Road, Friday through Sunday. Times will be Friday at 7:30 p.m.; Saturday at 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.; and Sunday at 11:45 a.m. For more information, call 325-8081.
– Mount Airy First Pentecostal Holiness Church, 132 Chadwick Lane, Mount Airy, will have revival services featuring the Rev. Gene Keene as speaker Sunday through Wednesday. Services Sunday will be at 11 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., and weeknight services will start at 7 p.m.
– Brush Arbor Gospel Singing will feature The Primitive Quartet of Candler Sunday at 7 p.m. on Old Mill Road at Lowgap (beside the Marathon station). Admission is free, but a love offering will be taken, a portion of which will benefit Surry County Special Olympics. Food and refreshments will be available and those attending are asked to bring lawn chairs. More information can be obtained from Ray or Brenda Killon at 352-4346.
– Second Chance Church in the Fairview community will have a special singing featuring Dean Browder June 28 during the 11 a.m. service. For more information, call 374-3394.
Vacation Bible School
– Vacation Bible School will be held at Hunters Chapel Assembly Church in Ararat, Va., starting Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. A commencement will follow. For more information, call (276) 251-7232.
– Vacation Bible School will be held at Woodville Baptist Church, Sunday through Thursday starting at 6:45 p.m. Supper will be held in the fellowship hall at 6 p.m. every night. Commencement will be held June 26 at 7 p.m.
– Vacation Bible School will be held at Pinnacle View Baptist Church, 1332 Shoals Road, on Monday through June 26 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. There will be classes for all ages. Family night will be June 26.
– Vacation Bible School will be held at Victory Baptist Church, 2120 Riverside Drive, on Wednesday through June 26 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Classes are be offered for children ages 3 through eighth grade.
– Vacation Bible School will be held at Copeland Baptist Church for all ages Monday through June 27 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Fun day will be held Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m.
– Mount Airy Wesleyan Church will hold its annual Vacation Bible School Monday through June 27 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. The theme is Paul and the Underground Church and is intended for ages nursery through sixth grade. All children in the community in this age group are invited. For more information, call the church office at 786-7250.
– Mount Zion Baptist Church at Ararat is seeking craft vendors for its autumn fair scheduled Sept. 12 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Interested crafters are asked to call Jean at 374-5804 for further details.
– The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
– A free soup kitchen is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
– Food assistance for the hungry in the community is provided each Thursday at 8:30 a.m. by Trinity Episcopal Church.
– Meetings for those healing from a broken marriage, each Tuesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Genesis Full Gospel Church on Sparger Road. Everyone is invited, with more information available at 351-4718.
– The Apostolic Ministerial Association is seeking new ministers of the Apostolic faith in order to encourage meetings with others that can help improve individual ministries. Those interested may call 789-1569 or 325-8081.
– Mens interdenominational Bible study and prayer breakfast, 7 to 8 a.m. each Wednesday at Prime Sirloin Restaurant in Mount Airy. All interested men are invited.
– GriefShare, a bi-weekly video seminar featuring experts on grief-recovery topics which is geared toward grieving persons or their supporters in a group-participation environment, is held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 6:15 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road. More information is available at 786-4778.
– Holy Angels Catholic Church weekly Evening Prayer Service, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 1208 N. Main St., Mount Airy. The service includes giving thanks for the gifts of the day and reflection; Evening Prayer hymns and psalms and Scripture readings; time for silent prayer and meditation; and prayers of intercession for the church, world and all those in need. Father Eric Kowalski, Holy Angels pastor, invites everyone to attend.
– Compassion Circle gatherings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at L.H. Jones Resource Center, 215 Jones School Road. A circle of friends offers love, hope, faith and spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, with everyone welcome. More information is available at 786-1455.