First Posted: 8/13/2009
Submissions to the Church Calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought in to The Mount Airy News office before 5 p.m. Tuesday in order to be published in Fridays issue. Be sure to include the full name and address of the church; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, 319 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or e-mailed to [email protected]
Benefits and Fundraisers
– First United Methodist Church, Pilot Mountain, will be holding Sweet Repeats Childrens Consignment Sale on Aug. 14 from 6 to 8 p.m. and Aug. 15 from 8 a.m. to noon. Buy gently used childrens fall and winter clothing in sizes 0-16. There is also baby stuff. Items wil be sold at half price on Aug. 15. Proceeds will go to help fund childrens programs at the church.
– Dayspring Baptist Church, White Dirt Road, Dobson, will be having a yard sale on Aug. 15 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. A wide variety of items will be up for sale. Breakfast items will be sold. Everyone is welcome.
– Maple Grove United Methodist Church will be holding a ground steak supper Aug. 15 from 4 to 7 p.m. The cost is $6 a plate for adults, including dessert and beverage. Drive-thru service is available.
– A benefit hot dog supper will begin at Shelton Church of the Brethern, cornor of Westfield and Quaker roads, beginning at 4 p.m. on Aug. 29. A special singing will begin at 6 p.m. by New Jerusalem. Donations will be appreciated. A $100 gas giveaway will be held at Donnas Barber Shop, 304 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, on Aug. 22. Proceeds will go to Donna Brinegar to help pay for medical expenses. For more information, contact Duane at 789-8855.
– Basket bingo will be held at the Webb Community Center, Fancy Gap Road, Aug. 22. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. with bingo to start at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $20 per package. This event is sponsored by Womens Fellowship of Mount Bethel Moravian Church. Proceeds will go towards needs of the church and community. For more information, call 789-3239 or 783-3927.
– Zephyr Missionary Baptist Church, Poplar Springs Road, Elkin, will have homecoming Aug. 16 at an 11 a.m. service. The community is invited to attend.
– Open Door Community Church is having a blue grass gospel singing Aug. 15 from 5 p.m. until on the lawn of the church. The Orange Family, Boyd Brothers, Hooker Family, New Direction, Gloryland Trio and The Vernon Harris Band will all be preforming. Everyone is invited.
– Dean Browder will be performing Aug. 16 at 6 p.m. at Flippin Memorial Baptist Church.
– A singing will be held at Salem Baptist Church on Aug. 16 starting at 6 p.m. Special guests will be Truly Blessed. An ice cream social, courtesy of the WOM following the singing. This event is free. Canned goods will be accepted for the Dobson Food Pantry.
– Family Fellowship Chapel, 2237 McKinney Road, Mount Airy, is having a special singing service on Aug. 16 at 10 a.m. featuring New Jerusalem. Everyone is invited. For more information, call 783-0221.
– Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, is having the Fifth Sunday Singing at 6 p.m. on Sunday. Rich in Tradition will be performing. Refreshments will be served in the fellowship hall following the service.
– A community watch meeting will be held at Salem United Methodist Church on Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. All are welcome.
– Fairview United Methodist Church, Quarker Church Road, Shoals, will be holding a Back to School Giveaway including clothes, children and adult, food and school supplies. Due to the great need, make sure to be present to receive a book bag while supplies last. The give away will be held on Friday from 3 to 7 p.m. and on Saturday from 8 to 11 a.m.
– Trinity Episcopal Church, 472 N. Main St., Mount Airy, is holding Inquirers Classes on Wednesdays from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to come and learn about church, its theology, its history and its ministry in the world. For more information, call 786-6067 or email [email protected]
– Starting Sept. 2, Calvary Baptist Church is opening up a clothes closet ministry on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. If someone is in need of clothes at other times, call the church office at 786-4778.
– Livingwater Baptist Church is looking for laborers to work in Gods vineyards. Come worship and labor where Gods fields are white into harvest. For more information, call Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500 or 429-8712.
– The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
– A free soup kitchen is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
– Food assistance for the hungry in the community is provided each Thursday at 8:30 a.m. by Trinity Episcopal Church.
– Meetings for those healing from a broken marriage, each Tuesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Genesis Full Gospel Church on Sparger Road. Everyone is invited, with more information available at 351-4718.
– The Apostolic Ministerial Association is seeking new ministers of the Apostolic faith in order to encourage meetings with others that can help improve individual ministries. Those interested may call 789-1569 or 325-8081.
– Mens interdenominational Bible study and prayer breakfast, 7 to 8 a.m. each Wednesday at Prime Sirloin Restaurant in Mount Airy. All interested men are invited.
– GriefShare, a bi-weekly video seminar featuring experts on grief-recovery topics which is geared toward grieving persons or their supporters in a group-participation environment, is held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 6:15 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road. More information is available at 786-4778.
– Holy Angels Catholic Church weekly Evening Prayer Service, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 1208 N. Main St., Mount Airy. The service includes giving thanks for the gifts of the day and reflection; Evening Prayer hymns and psalms and Scripture readings; time for silent prayer and meditation; and prayers of intercession for the church, world and all those in need. Father Eric Kowalski, Holy Angels pastor, invites everyone to attend.
– Compassion Circle gatherings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at L.H. Jones Resource Center, 215 Jones School Road. A circle of friends offers love, hope, faith and spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, with everyone welcome. More information is available at 786-1455.
– Livingwater Baptist Church, 125 Starlight Road, Mount Airy, is launching a new ministry. The King James Bible RadioNetwork is being broadcast on WGIW 89.7 in Pilot Mountain. The station will be devoted to old time gospel preaching from the King James 1611 Bible and traditional gospel singing 24 hours a day. Churches and preachers desiring broadcast time and wishing to have their announcements broadcast, contact Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500.