First Posted: 5/28/2009
– The Mount Airy Police Department is investigating an arson reported Wednesday at a local residence. Someone used an unknown substance to start a fire that caused $500 in damages to a bathroom and exterior window at 338 Hay St. The victim of the crime, for which no suspects were immediately identified, is Randy Lee Gwyn.
– Jackie Ray Lundy Jr., 34, of 407 Pine Terrace Road, was charged Tuesday with possession of a stolen motor vehicle, a felony. The 1996 Ford Ranger pickup involved had been reported stolen last weekend by Vickie Denise Shelton of the same address and entered into the National Crime Information Center, a nationwide database. Lundy, after being found in possession of the pickup, was released under a $2,500 secured bond and is scheduled to appear in Surry District Court on July 20.
– Police also are investigating the larceny of a vehicle from a local used-car dealership which was reported Monday but is thought to have occurred last Friday or Saturday. The blue 1997 Lincoln Town Car, owned by Mondays Auto Sales on West Street, is valued at $3,000. A North Carolina dealer tag also was on the vehicle at the time it was taken from the home of a dealership employee on Fairview Avenue.
– A breaking and entering occurred at Prime Sirloin on Rockford Street during the early morning hours Tuesday, involving the theft of $860 in cash. The case is still under investigation.
– It was reported Tuesday afternoon that someone had used a counterfeit $100 bill to pay for food at Bojangles on South Andy Griffith Parkway. The suspect in the incident, which is undergoing further investigation, is a white female about 30 years old.