First Posted: 2/11/2009
– The Mount Airy Police Department is investigating a reported armed robbery in which an Oak Street resident said $1,300 was taken from him by two men at knifepoint. Francisco Leon Gutierrez told police that he was robbed Sunday night in the roadway at Spaugh and Oak streets. No injuries resulted. The unknown suspects were described as a black male and a white male, both about 22 years old.
– A Pilot Mountain man was arrested Monday night on charges stemming from recent thefts at Wal-Mart. Ethan David Allen, 38, of 211 Old Forge Road, is accused of two counts of larceny in connection with the theft of items including infant formula and .410-gauge shotgun shells on Jan. 31. Based on earlier reports, a white male concealed the merchandise in his jacket and left the store without paying, with the loss put at about $75. Allen was released under a $2,500 unsecured bond and is scheduled to appear in Surry District Court on March 26.
– Howard Bryan McMillian, a West Lebanon Street resident, told police Monday that the license tag of his 1985 Volvo was stolen sometime between Friday evening and Monday morning while the vehicle was parked at Porkys Bar B-Que on West Lebanon Street. The plate number is NPY6702.
– A felonious larceny was reported last Wednesday at Wal-Mart in which a tool box was removed from an unsecured cargo area of a 1989 Chevrolet S-10 pickup owned by Jackie Dee Rodgers of Race Track Road. Rodgers told police that the tool box was stolen while he was inside the store. It is said to have contained a large quantity of various hand tools valued at $2,000, with the large metal chest-type box valued at $600. The case remains open for further investigation.
– Money was reported stolen last Wednesday from Starlite Motel. Frank E. Kesaria, the motel owner, told police that an unknown suspect gained entry to a locked cash drawer and removed $139. The case is listed as inactive, with no leads to pursue at this time.
– Deborah Irene Rosales of East Pine Street reported last Wednesday that her grandchilds Social Security card was either stolen or lost at Latino Americano Tax Service in Mount Airy. The incident remains open for further investigation.
– Patty Lynn McCraw of Broad Street reported the larceny of clothing last week from the laundry area of her apartment complex. The case is listed as inactive.