First Posted: 9/24/2009
Submissions to the Church Calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought in to The Mount Airy News office before 5 p.m. Tuesday in order to be published in Fridays issue. Be sure to include the full name and address of the church; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, 319 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or e-mailed to [email protected]
Benefits and Fundraisers
– Salem United Methodist Church will be having a harvest sale on today and Saturday. For sale are pumpkins, sweet potatoes and apples, red and yellow delicious staymans. The sale will be held at the Thomas House Bed and Breakfast on North Main Street in Mount Airy. Proceeds go to the building fund.
– The 32nd annual Harvest Sale and BBQ Buffet Supper will be held at Level Cross United Methodist Church on Saturday starting at 8 a.m. There will be a yard sale, bake sale, crafts, concessions and food from 4:30 to 7 p.m. The cost is $7 per plate and includes BBQ, slaw, baked beans, hushpuppies or rolls and homemade desserts. Eat-in or take-out. BBQ is also available by the pound for $7 all day.
– St. Paul Church of the Brethren will be having a ham supper on Saturday from 4 to 7:30 p.m. Adult plates are $7 and childrens plates, younger than 12, are $4. Carry outs are available. Each plate includes ham, green beans, apples, potato salad, roll, dessert and drink.
– Zion United Methodist Church will be sponsoring a bake sale on Saturday at Mayberry Mall from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Delicious cakes, pies, cookies and more will be for sale. Proceeds will go to benefit the church budget.
– On Oct. 3, Salem United Methodist Church will be having a big country breakfast with country ham, sausage, bacon, gravy, grits, eggs, biscuits, apples, homemade apple butter and sourwood honey. Breakfast is $6. There will also be a bake sale, crafts and a yard sale. Breakfast will be held from 7 to 10 a.m., and the bazaar will be held until 2 p.m. Proceeds will go to the church UMW.
– The sixth annual golf tournament, sponsored by the Wesleyan Men of Mount Airy Wesleyan Church, will be on Oct. 3 at 10 a.m. at Skyland Lakes Golf Course. The cost is $50 per person and participants must sign up by Sept. 26. The format is Captains Choice. Mulligans are $5 each and teams are limited to four players. First place team wins $200; second place wins $120; and third place wins $80. All proceeds go to projects and needs in the church and community. For more information, call Don Shelton at 789-4629.
– Laurel Bluff Baptist Church, 127 Bluff Road, Mount Airy, will be holding its homecoming on Sunday at the 11 a.m. service. A lunch will follow.
– Bannertown Baptist Church is having homecoming on Sunday with guest speaker Billy Blakely at the 11 a.m. service. Bring a well-filled picnic basket.
– Homecoming will be held at Fancy Gap Baptist Church, 1161 W. Lebanon St., Mount Airy. There will be a covered-dish lunch.
– Asbury Presbyterian Church is having homecoming on Sunday from 10 a.m. to noon with lunch in the fellowship hall after the service. Revival will be Oct. 11-13 with special music and speakers.
– Mount Airy First P.H. Church will have homecoming and family and friend day on Sunday. The 11 a.m. service will be lead by guest speaker Brian Frazier. There will be no Sunday night service.
– Shining Light Baptist Church will be having homecoming and revival on Sunday through next Friday with Evangelist Rayton Puckett. There will be a special singing every night at 7 p.m. For more information, call 786-6057.
– Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, will be having revival held on Oct. 4 at 6 p.m. and Oct. 5-7 at 7 p.m. with different guest speakers and singers each night. Everyone is welcome to attend revival and Sunday School at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m.
– Friendly Chapel Church, Pilot Mountain, will have homecoming on Oct. 4. The morning service will be held at 11 a.m. and lunch will be at 1 p.m. The Easter Brothers will be singing at 7 p.m. with Bro. Russell Easter preaching. Revival services will be held Oct. 5-7 at 7:30 p.m. with Bro. Mike Molcomb of Bryson City preaching.
– A gospel singing will be held in the Carroll County High School Auditorium, Hillsville, Va., on Saturday at 7 p.m. Performing will be The Inspirations and New River Boys. Tickets are on sale at Cox Realty, Galax, Va.; Roys Diamond Center, Galax, Va.; Nuckolls Drug, Hillsville, Va.; and Danas Hair Styling, Hillsville, Va. Tickets are $10. Children younger than 12 are free. For more information, call (276) 233-6571.
– Triumphant Pentecostal Church, 183 Marshall Farm Road, Mount Airy, will have Psalms 108 in concert at 4 p.m. on Sunday.
– Freedom Progressive Primative Baptist Church will have a singing on Sunday at 3 p.m. with guest groups The New Dynamic Voices of Praise, The Barnes Family and The New Trinity Gospel Singers. Pastor Jamie Mack of New Victory Church in Statesville will be speaking.
– Imogene Church Community Annual Block Party will be held Saturday at 3 p.m. All friends and neighbors are invited to join for the good food and fellowship. A covered-dish meal will be served.
– The 107th annual session of Surry Baptist Association will be held at Haymore Memorial Baptist Church on Oct. 26 at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. A meal will be served from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
– Trinity Episcopal Church, 472 N. Main St., Mount Airy, is holding Inquirers Classes on Wednesdays from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to come and learn about church, its theology, its history and its ministry in the world. For more information, call 786-6067 or email [email protected]
– Calvary Baptist Church has opened a clothes closet ministry on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. If someone is in need of clothes at other times, call the church office at 786-4778.
– Livingwater Baptist Church is looking for laborers to work in Gods vineyards. Come worship and labor where Gods fields are white into harvest. For more information, call Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500 or 429-8712.
– The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
– A free soup kitchen is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
– Food assistance for the hungry in the community is provided each Thursday at 8:30 a.m. by Trinity Episcopal Church.
– Meetings for those healing from a broken marriage, each Tuesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Genesis Full Gospel Church on Sparger Road. Everyone is invited, with more information available at 351-4718.
– The Apostolic Ministerial Association is seeking new ministers of the Apostolic faith in order to encourage meetings with others that can help improve individual ministries. Those interested may call 789-1569 or 325-8081.
– Mens interdenominational Bible study and prayer breakfast, 7 to 8 a.m. each Wednesday at Prime Sirloin Restaurant in Mount Airy. All interested men are invited.
– GriefShare, a bi-weekly video seminar featuring experts on grief-recovery topics which is geared toward grieving persons or their supporters in a group-participation environment, is held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 6:15 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road. More information is available at 786-4778.
– Holy Angels Catholic Church weekly Evening Prayer Service, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 1208 N. Main St., Mount Airy. The service includes giving thanks for the gifts of the day and reflection; Evening Prayer hymns and psalms and Scripture readings; time for silent prayer and meditation; and prayers of intercession for the church, world and all those in need. Father Eric Kowalski, Holy Angels pastor, invites everyone to attend.
– Compassion Circle gatherings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at L.H. Jones Resource Center, 215 Jones School Road. A circle of friends offers love, hope, faith and spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, with everyone welcome. More information is available at 786-1455.
– Livingwater Baptist Church, 125 Starlight Road, Mount Airy, is launching a new ministry. The King James Bible RadioNetwork is being broadcast on WGIW 89.7 in Pilot Mountain. The station will be devoted to old time gospel preaching from the King James 1611 Bible and traditional gospel singing 24 hours a day. Churches and preachers desiring broadcast time and wishing to have their announcements broadcast, contact Pastor Benny Faw at 719-6500.