First Posted: 6/30/2009
– A recent rash of counterfeiting is continuing in the area, based on reports from the Mount Airy Police Department. In addition to previous incidents, police now are investigating a case in which two fake $20 bills were received last week at the Super C convenience store on East Pine Street. An unknown white female passed the bills in exchange for real currency.
– Ricky Dean Parker, 37, of 444 Atkins Road, Siloam, was taken into custody Monday on a shoplifting violation relating to an alleged attempt to remove a pair of athletic shoes valued at $32 from Wal-Mart. Parker was confined in the Surry County Jail under a $2,000 secured bond and is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 19.
– Silvio Aquilar Ibarra, 32, of 528 Roy Stanley Road, Dobson, was arrested Friday on charges of hit and run involving property damage and no operators license after police investigated a traffic accident. Ibarra subsequently admitted to driving a vehicle that struck another, according to arrest records. He was jailed under a $2,500 secured bond and is to be in Surry District Court on Aug. 4.
– Candice Kauilani Kennedy, 38, of 374 Daldyville Blvd. in Clemmons, was jailed under a $10,000 secured bond Friday on a felony fugitive-from-justice charge. Police initially encountered Kennedy at Wal-Mart, where she was accused of larceny, and a routine warrant check revealed that she is wanted in Virginia on an unspecified matter. Bond was set at $500 on the larceny offense, with Kennedy scheduled to appear in Surry District Court on Aug. 26.
– Wiley Michael Gwyn, 39, of 302 Jeffries St., was served with a warrant on a stalking charge Friday in which Candis Andre of Austin Drive is the complainant. Gwyns court date was set for July 31.
– A larceny offense was issued Friday against Lonnie Samuel Baggatta, 25, of 891 Fairview Drive, Galax, Va., after he allegedly was found in possession of a Playstation game at Wal-Mart, valued at $20. Baggatta is scheduled to appear in Surry District Court on Aug. 26.
– Anthony Eric Hill, 25, of 102 Lola Lane, Pilot Mountain, was cited for second-degree trespassing Friday after police responded to a civil disturbance on Willow Hill Circle. Hill allegedly had come onto property there after being told not to, and is to appear in Surry District Court on Aug. 6.
– Violations of resisting a public officer and second-degree trespassing were filed Friday against Corin Dean Jarrell, 18, of 408 Dynasty Lane, in connection with an incident at Creekside Cinema. Jarrell allegedly became verbally abusive while being issued the trespassing citation, refused to get into a patrol car and pulled away from an officer who was placing him in the vehicle. He was confined in Dobson under a $1,000 secured bond and is scheduled to be in District Court on Aug. 4.
– Johnnie Lee Bromfield, who lives on Indian Grove Church Road, told police Thursday that he was bitten by a dog while at a business at 1214 W. Pine St., which was not identified. The incident was still under investigation at last report.
– Wheels and Michelin tires were reported stolen last Wednesday from the residence of Nancy Vernon Nichols on Allred Mill Road. No value was given for the theft, which at last report remained open for further investigation.
– A bicycle was reported stolen last week from the residence of Bree Hayden on Granite Road. The green and silver Razor model is valued at $75. The case is listed as inactive, with no leads to pursue at this time.