By Tom Joyce
October 23, 2013
• Darren DaShawn Shuff, 34, of 1045 Shuff Road, Westfield, was arrested early Monday on charges of resisting a public officer and being intoxicated and disruptive, according to Mount Airy Police Department reports. Shuff allegedly persisted in not obeying officers’ orders during a traffic stop in the 200 block of Rockford Street. He was held in the Surry County Jail under a $500 secured bond and is to be in District Court on Nov. 13.
• An assault is reported to have occurred Saturday at Dollar General on South Main Street, where someone allegedly caused minor injuries to Cecelia Sanchez Araiza, a resident of Indian Trail, Mount Airy, by repeatedly hitting her head on the pavement.
• Police were told Saturday that a break-in had occurred at the home of Billy Gray Goins on Welch Road, where a Hewlett-Packard laptop computer and case, valued at $330, were taken after a secured basement window was pried open and a secured door forcibly entered to gain access.
• Jason Alexander Austin, 31, listed as homeless, was charged Saturday with interfering with an electronic monitoring device; restricting, delaying or obstructing a public officer; and two counts of violating probation. Austin was known to be wanted when police encountered him at a Spring Street location and was taken into custody after a brief foot chase. He was jailed under a $22,000 secured bond and is facing a Nov. 5 appearance in Surry District Court.
• A larceny occurred Saturday at Best Buy No. 3 on West Pine Street, where an unknown party concealed Bud Light Strawberita beer in clothing and left the business without paying.
• A Dell laptop computer, a hand-held computer and a Sony PlayStation 3 game console were stolen during a break-in Friday at the residence of Steven. G. Harris on East Haymore Street, which was entered through a secured door. No monetary value was listed for the items taken.
• A break-in was discovered Friday from the home of Glenn Barry Sisson on West Lebanon Street, where a Sony 32-inch, flat-panel television set valued at $428 was taken after entry was gained through an unsecured window.
• Shauna Michelle McKenzie, 24, of 451 Welch Road, was cited for shoplifting Friday at Walmart, where she allegedly concealed DVDs in a bookbag. McKenzie’s court date was set for Dec. 17, with no value listed for the stolen property.
• Police were told Thursday that a green 2001 Land Rover Discovery, owned by Haley Sechrist Cassell of Foothill Farm Lane in Pilot Mountain and valued at $10,000, had been stolen from Auto Supply Co. Inc. on Starlite Road. The SUV was taken sometime from early September to Oct. 1.
• An attempted break-in of a city-owned commercial storage building at 300 S. Main St. was discovered Thursday. A window screen was pried open in an effort to gain entry, with minor damage caused.
• Deborah Ann Atkins, 55, of 383 Dover Church Road, was charged last Wednesday with embezzlement by employee, a felony. Atkins allegedly took $420 from Walmart while working as a cashier there. She is free on a written promise to appear in Surry District Court on Oct. 30.