Versatile Bears down Golden Eagles 63-48

Jeff Linville Staff Reporter

December 19, 2013

Mount Airy bounced back from a tough loss to beat Surry Central 63-48 Wednesday.

With the Lady Eagles in the Mary Garber tournament, the boys were the only varsity game. They still needed a long time to tip off as Mount Airy went to overtime before edging the Eagles in the JV game.

The varsity Bears know all about overtime as they needed two of them against Ashe County in their previous game.

Bear Coach Levi Goins said he was proud of his team for coming out strong against Surry Central rather than letting the last game linger on their minds.

From a 4-4 tie two minutes into the game, the Bears outscored the Eagles 19-11 the rest of the quarter for a 23-15 lead.

The run could have been worse, but point guard Kirk Needham came off the bench to hit back-to-back threes for the Eagles.

Still, the Bears kept the pressure on, making the first seven points in the second quarter for a 30-15 lead.

Zach Wilmoth had a three-pointer, free throw and inside bucket for six points to slow down the Bears.

At halftime it was 40-28.

Carson and Clay Mounce had 17 points of the 40 points at that point, but Goins was raving about the unselfishness of his guards. The players will willing to make the passes into the post so that the team could be successful.

Khaileel Dailey had 17 points, but he didn’t look to score himself at the start, noted Goins. Dailey posted six assists and four steals as well as his points.

Isiah Simmons only had two points, but he applied defensive pressure and pushed the tempo in transition, the coach noted.

In the third quarter, the Bears went up 15 at 46-31, drawing a timeout from Coach Ken Eiswald.

The Eagles scored five straight to cut the lead to 10.

Dailey left the game with a cut near his eye.

Caleb Horton had attacked the basket, but had his shot blocked by Zach Wilmoth. In the scramble for the loose ball, Dailey took an inadvertent shot to the face.

He went out of the game and was patched up by athletic director Donald Price. Dailey later returned to the game in the fourth quarter and added five points.

The lead was 14 at 50-36 at the end of the third period. Then the Bears won by 15.

Zach Wilmoth had 13 points in the first half, but just three in the second half.

Goins put Clay Mounce on Wilmoth the entire game. That is a big assignment for a sophomore, he admitted, but Clay has the potential to be a good defender.

“It’s obvious when you play Surry Central that you really have to stop Zach Wilmoth,” said Goins. “He came into the game averaging something like 22 (points) and 12 (rebounds).”

The guards also helped by both applying perimeter pressure on the passers and doubling when Wilmoth attacked the basket.

“We did what we wanted to do,” said Goins. Which was to control how often Wilmoth caught the ball, and then playing solid defense after the catch.

On the offensive end, the Bears showed off their versatility by attacking in many ways. The Mounce brothers scored down low, Dailey slashed to the basket off the dribble, and Horton and the guards raced out in transition.

Carson Mounce finished with 19 points and six rebounds. Clay Mounce had 12 points, 10 boards and a couple of blocked shots.

Horton scored eight, Isaiah King four, Simmons two and Sihem Smith one.

After Wilmoth’s 16, Rocky Collins scored 10, Needham nine, Jake Wilmoth and Brett Mosley five each, Dante Hanner four and Weston Mosley two.

Zach Wilmoth grabbed eight rebounds and Hanner six to lead the Eagles.

Against Ashe County Monday night, Goins said the Bears didn’t play well enough against the Huskies.

Mount Airy was up four near the end of regulation against Ashe.

The home team scored, then the Bears made a bad mental error with an offensive foul to give the ball back, he said.

Ashe tied the game to force overtime.

In the extra period, the Bears built a three-point lead with three seconds left and the ball under their own basket.

Ashe inbounded the ball, and the player heaved up a three-pointer from 10 feet behind the midcourt line with a hand in his face. It was an unbelievable shot to send the game to double-overtime, Goins said.

That may have shifted some momentum to the home team. The Huskies went up four, and Mount Airy struggled to close the gap.

Carson Mounce had 26 points to lead the Bears.

“They couldn’t stop him, but we couldn’t stop them either, defensively,” said Goins. “They have some guys that can really shoot the ball.”

Devan Sheets and Alex Spencer had three long shots each, and Sheets went 7-10 inside the arc, too, for 25 points. Spencer finished with 19.

Against Surry Central, though, “We are finally playing like I envisioned,” said Goins. Now the Bears (6-3) have to continue to work like this on Friday at North Surry.

Surry Central is done until after Christmas.