By Tom Joyce
August 16, 2014
• A Lambsburg, Va., resident was charged with a felony this week involving a forged prescription, according to Mount Airy Police Department reports. Sherrie Lea Hines, 52, of 206 York Thicket Road, was arrested Tuesday after allegedly passing the forged prescription for Xanax at Mount Airy Drug on West Pine Street. She was found in possession of additional blank prescriptions, police records show. Hines was released on a written promise to appear in Surry District Court on Sept. 10.
• A coin-operated Pepsi machine was discovered to have been broken into Thursday at Merritt Supply on Rockford Street. An unspecified sum of cash was taken along with the machine being damaged, with no loss figures given.
• Two incidents involving the theft of shoes at Main Oak Emporium have occurred this week, in addition to one previously reported at the business on City Hall Street. One was discovered Monday, stemming from the theft of a pair of Sperry Billfish men’s shoes valued at $100 by an unknown suspect who concealed them and left without paying. Also Monday, the larceny of Catrina women’s sandals valued at $80 was reported, with that crime believed to have occurred in July. It previously was noted that four pairs of shoes worth $425 were stolen Tuesday.
• Walmart also was the scene of thefts this week targeting remote-control devices. The first was discovered Tuesday, involving three PlayStation remote-controllers valued at $180, which were taken by an unknown suspect who concealed the devices and left without paying. And on Wednesday, four remote-controllers valued at $210 were stolen in the same manner.
• A break-in discovered Wednesday at the residence of Sherry Lynn Mitchell on Hadley Street resulted in the loss of a Hewlett-Packard laptop computer and a baby swing with a Winnie the Pooh design, valued altogether at $290. Entry was gained through an unsecured window.
• Police were told Wednesday that an attempt had been made to enter the Creed Street apartment of Shamir Laurette Penn, which caused $100 in damage to a door.