Submissions to the community calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought into The Mount Airy News office by 5 p.m. Tuesday for the event to be in Sunday’s newspaper. The calendar runs each Sunday. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, 319 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or emailed to [email protected]
• Bake Sale and Benefit for cancer patient Freddy “Pete” Wood at Holly Springs Ruritan Building from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. $6 a plate gets you two hot dogs, chips, can drink and dessert. Donations welcome. For information, call Willie Mae Hutchens at 336-755-3856 or Debrah Woods at 336-374-9335.
• The members of the Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 1021, are hosting a members picnic and Mini Putt golf tournament from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Open to the public. Food and drinks. Bring a chair, bring the kids, family and friends for a day of fun. Located at 171 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy.
• Mount Airy Museum of Regional History, 301 N. Main St. is holding Summer Storytelling at 2 p.m. on the Courtyard presented by Surry Storytellers who will tell tall tales and spin many yarns. Free to the public.
• Children’s Benefit Mud Bog to benefit Shriner’s Hospitals for children and SCC Aktion Club. Directions: Hwy. 89 west, left onto Beulah Road (Prison Camp Road) then secondnd left onto York Road. For more information, call Erik at 336-755-8642 or Darlene Watts 336-325-6575. Gates open at 9 a.m. Action starts at 11 a.m. No grills or outside food. No alcoholic beverages. All 4×4 trucks welcome.
• Bannertown Baptist Church, 1834 Westfield Road, Mount Airy, will have a Blood Drive from 12:30 p.m.-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 789-2505.
• Salem Fork Christian Church , 2245 White Dirt Road, Dobson, will have a Blood Drive from 12 noon-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 366-2031.
• The annual Smith Reunion will be held at the Francisco Fire and Community Building in Francisco, 7104 NC Highway 89 West. Business meeting at 12:30 p.m., lunch is at 1 p.m.
• Finding Your Way after the Suicide of a Loved one at Mount Airy Public Library every third Monday at 2 p.m. For more information, contact Stacie Adams, Bereavement Coordinator for Mountain Valley Hospice & Palliative Care, at 336-789-2922 or [email protected]
• AES Blood Drive will be at 101 Technology Lane, Mount Airy, from 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 789-0792 ext. 331.
• Hauser-Houser-Hoosier-Hooser National Family Reunion will be June 19-21 in Winston-Salem celebrating 262 years in the Winston-Salem area. For daily agenda activities and registration, contact Rollie Hauser; Cell: 530-891-4033 or Email: [email protected] Local Contact : Ken Hauser; Cell: 336-782 9120 or E-mail: [email protected]
• The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 100 Windsor Drive, Dobson, will have a blood drive from 2:30 p.m.-7 p.m. For an appointment, call 244-4858.
• Family and friends of “Miss Tee” (Teresa) Gillespie will be hosting a “Tee Party” celebrating her 80th birthday from 2-5 p.m. at Beulah Elementary School. Everyone who attended Beulah Elementary School and/or was taught by Mrs. Gillespie is invited for an afternoon of reuniting with old friends, teachers, colleagues and good memories. Refreshments and entertainment will be provided. Call 336-789-2035 for additional information.
• SCC is offering a class for chocolate lovers. Learn where chocolate comes from, how it is made, sample different types of chocolate and discover the health benefits. Class will be held on June 23 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the NC Cooperative Extension, Surry Center, 210 North Main Street, Dobson. Participants will make and take home edible chocolate roses. All supplies included in class fee of $25. Advance registration and advance payment is required. Call (336) 386-3229 for more information.
• Lowe’s Hardware, 692 S. Andy Griffith Parkway, Mount Airy, will have a blood drive from 12noon -4:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 789-6100 ext. 208.
• Surry Community College is offering a seminar, Stress Management, Budgeting on Less and Surviving a Layoff from 1-4 p.m. The class is offered at no cost to unemployed, or underemployed workers. Advance registration is not required. The class will be held at the Surry County Workforce Center (Employment Office), 541 West Pine Street, Mount Airy. For information, contact Carmen Eldridge (336) 386-3683 or [email protected]
• The Third Annual Pie Eating Contest for Charity benefits The Shepherds House Homeless Shelter following the Mount Airy July 4 Parade at noon. Franklin Street downtown. Open to everyone ages 1-100.
• Carpenter, Goings and Snow Reunion will be held at Beulah School lunchroom on Hwy. 89 with a lunch at 12:30 p.m. Please bring covered dishes. Contact Dewey Carpenter at 320-2582.
• Flat Rock Ruritan Club is having 50/50 Bingo with doors opening at 5 p.m. Bingo begins at 6 p.m. Door prizes. Refreshments available. All proceeds go toward community service projects.
Ongoing music events
• The Lowgap Community Center hosts a jam session the first Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m.
• Open Jam is held every Friday at 7 p.m. at the Willis Gap Community Center, 144 The Hollow Road, Ararat, Va. For more information, call Mary Dellenback Hill at (276) 251-9906.
• Lambsburg Community Center, Lambsburg, Va., hosts Friday Night Jam each week from 7 to 10 p.m. Refreshments are served, and there is a playground and walking trail at the facility. For more information, call 648-2078 or email [email protected] or visit www.lambsburgcommunitycenter.org.
• Jam sessions will be held every Friday from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Willis Gap Community Center. Jammers of all skill levels are invited to attend. Admission is free.
• The Beulah Ruritan Club hosts bands most Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. For more information on the music schedule and activities of the club, visit the group’s Facebook page, Beulah Ruritan Club.
• Voice of the Blue Ridge is held every third Saturday at the Historic Earle Theatre, 142 N. Main St., Mount Airy. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $7 or free with a SAC Season Pass and children 12 and younger free. For more information, contact the Surry Arts Council at 786-7998.
• The Surry Arts Council presents Rhythmic Expression Clogging Company with Samantha Wilhelmi every Tuesday from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. The classes will take place at the Andy Griffith Museum Theatre, 218 Rockford St. The classes are for all skill levels and ages and cost $25 per month. For more information, call the Surry Arts Council at 786-7998 or visit the website at www.surryarts.org.