DOBSON — A Surry County grand jury indicted a Yadkinville woman accused of stealing from an elderly client with 39 felony charges on Monday.
Heather Dorsett, 42, of State Street, was charged with exploiting the elderly, identity theft and 37 counts of obtaining property by false pretense following a September 2014 report made to the Elkin Police Department by a deputy with the Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office.
According to police reports, the victim, Dolores Boyer Hardison, of Sparta, had reported to Allegheny County authorities that she had hired Dorsett to help her with daily chores and while hospitalized, had given Dorsett her credit card to make “cat food and water purchases.”
Dorsett would visit Hardison periodically and bring her mail, the report states.
Hardison noticed the credit card statements were missing, and after asking Dorsett to give them to her, that the bill was unusually high, according to the report.
After being released from the hospital Hardison told authorities she got the card back from Dorsett, but it when she tried to use it, it was at its limit and denied.
Subsequent investigation by Mendy Peles of the Elkin Police revealed that during Hardison’s hospitalization, transactions had been made with the card at the Elkin Walmart totaling more than $8,000, according to the report.
Surry County warrants were issued for the associated charges in April 2015.
On a motion made by the state in Superior Court on Tuesday the case was continued to September 6.
Dorsett is scheduled to face companion charges of four counts of felony identity theft and three counts each of forgery of instrument and uttering a forged instrument in Allegheny County on Aug. 1.
The Grand Jury also returned true bills of indictment on Monday to:
• Yancey Willis Bond, 42, of Siloam Road, Ararat, with larceny of a motor vehicle, felony larceny, breaking and/or entering and two counts of possession of stolen goods or property. He was scheduled to appear in court on August 2.
• Adoma Connor, 31, of Key Street, Charlotte, with breaking and/or entering, felony larceny, possession of stolen goods or property and injury to personal property.
• Dwain Mitchell Edwards, 55, of Mount Airy, with first-degree burglary, second-degree rape, second-degree sexual offense, crime against nature and obtaining the status of habitual misdemeanor assault. He is scheduled to appear in court on July 11.
• Jeremy Lamont Edwards, 30, of Tipperary Place, Charlotte, with breaking and/or entering, larceny after breaking and/or entering, injury to personal property, possession of stolen goods or property, conspiring to break and/or enter a building, felony larceny and obtaining the status of habitual felon. Edwards was scheduled to appear in court on July 5.
• Larry Gray France, 35, of South Franklin Road, Mount Airy, with embezzlement. France’s case appeared on the May 10 Superior Court calendar.
• David Anthony Gwyn, 39, with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. His court date was set for July 6.
• Harrison Bernard Martin, 23, of East Norman Road, Mount Airy, with one count of obtaining property by false pretense. He was scheduled to appear in court on July 6.
• Sherri Leeann Meeks, 32, of Dobson, with one count of larceny of a firearm. He is scheduled to appear in court on July 7.
• James Brandon Odum, 34, of Slate Road, Mount Airy, with felony larceny. His case was continued until August 2.
• Audra Robert Puckett, 61, of Blalock Court, Pilot Mountain, with one count of obtaining property by false pretense. The case appeared on the May 10 Superior Court calendar.
• Joshua Davis Sawyers, 32, of Rockford Road, Dobson, with three counts of breaking and/or entering a motor vehicle, two counts of financial card theft, one count each of felony larceny and common law robbery. A court date was set for July 6.
• Raven Michelle Scarberry, 19, of Sheila Street, Mount Airy, with two counts of breaking and/or entering, two counts of breaking and/or entering a motor vehicle, financial card theft and larceny after breaking and/or entering. A court date was set for July 6.
• Vicky Sarah Slavey, 37, of Gold Dust Lane, Fancy Gap, Virginia, with flee to elude arrest with a motor vehicle. The case appeared on the May 10 Superior Court calendar.
• Kimberly Renee Snow, 27, of East End Drive, Mount Airy, with common law robbery. The case appeared on the May 10 Superior Court calendar.
• Shannon Lee Wall, 41, of Ararat Road, Ararat, with discharging a firearm in an enclosed area. A court appearance has been scheduled for July 6.
Reach Terri Flagg at 415-4734.