Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Taco Bell 28103, 551 CC Camp Rd., Elkin. Inspected March 24, score 96.5. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties 2-102.12 Certified Food Protection Manager – C — An ANSI-approved certified food protection manager must be present at all times during the operation of the establishment. There were no certified food protection manager(s) present during the inspection.
2) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean the top of the chip/twist/shell hot holding units (dust). Clean the inside bottom and racks in the same units. Clean inside of the small reach-in freezer at the fryers.
3) Plumbing installed; proper backflow devices: System Maintained in Good Repair – C — Repair the leaky pipe under the handwash sink in the employee break area (to the left of the office). Place a proper strainer in the floor sink under the prep sink that is just outside of the walk-in cooler.
The Pie Factory, 1263 N. South St., Mount Airy. Inspected March 23, score 95. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P — The dish machine was not dispensing sanitizer into the machine during the inspection (<10 ppm). The dish machine must always dispense sanitizer into the machine. This was corrected by replacing the sanitizer and rewashing dishes that have already been washed today. Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P — One dirty stainless steel pan and one dirty skillet were found. Dishwashers must ensure that dishes have no food left in them after washing. This was corrected by washing those dishes.
2) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C — Repair the leaky prep line unit. Good Repair and Calibration-Utensils and Temperature and Pressure Measuring Devices – C — Replace chipping pizza peels. Replace split gaskets on the prep line doors.
3) Warewashing facilities: installed, maintained and used; test strips: Warewashing Equipment, Cleaning Frequency – C — The dish machine needs to be cleaned inside and out. The dish machine needs to be maintained cleaned. Warewashing Machines, Manufacturers’ Operating Instructions – C — The dish machine was not dispensing the required minimum concentration of sanitizer, according to the manufacturer’s data plate. Ensure the machine always dispenses 50-200 ppm chlorine.
4) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean all nonfood contact surfaces (shelving throughout, under the microwave, inside of the microwave, inside of the prep line, front of the grill/oven, inside of the dough cooler, inside of the 2-door freezer, side of the fryer, inside of the fryer cabinet, top of equipment, carts, top of the glass cooler, etc.).
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — REPEAT: The floor is damaged throughout. Significantly in some areas. The back room is a possible safety concern. Repair all damaged floors throughout. Keep all storage at least 6 inches off of the floor to facilitate cleaning. There is a piece of plywood underneath the ice machine and 2-door reach-in cooler in the back area. It was used as support for the heavy pieces of equipment on the damaged floor. If this piece of plywood is going to remain, it needs to be painted with a smooth, durable, easily cleanable paint to allow for easy cleaning. Replace the missing ceiling tile to the left of the hood system. Repair the wall where damaged (kitchen, men’s restroom (above the toilet), etc). Repair/replace the back door (opening large enough to allow for the entrance of pests). Replace warped ceiling tiles. Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floors underneath equipment. Clean the walls where needed. Clean the floors in the storage room.
Talaquepaque Mexican Restaurant, 2123 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Inspected March 23, score 96. Violations: 1) Food separated and protected: Packaged and Unpackaged Food-Separation, Packaging, and Segregation – P- Observed unwrapped pork stored with fish in the freezer and pork stored above cheesecake in the freezer. Store opened packages of food in the freezer according to final cooking temperatures. CDI by moving cheesecake above the pork.and discarding the pork that was unwrapped. In the walk-in cooler steak and fish were stored above squash. CDI by moving the squash above the meats. Keep taco salad bowls and chips covered. CDI by PIC covering.
2) Thermometers provided and accurate: Food Temperature Measuring Devices – PF- Repair the digital thermometer on the meat drawers. All refrigeration must have a thermometer. I will return within 10 days for compliance. Temperature Measuring Devices-Functionality – PF- The thermometer in the sandwich unit was stored so it could not be read and was in the back of the cooler. Store thermometers in the warmest part of the unit and so they can easily be read. CDI.
3) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C- Bottom shelf of the prep table is rusty that is located near the back door. Replace gaskets that are in bad repair. Prep sink missing a leg. Replace. Bottom shelf of prep table in the wait station rusty. Repair. Good Repair and Calibration-Utensils and Temperature and Pressure Measuring Devices – C- Thermometer in the sandwich unit not accurate. Cdi by placing a new thermometer in the unit.
4) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C- Clean prep table shelving. Clean tops of equipment for dust and grease. Clean inside refrigeration for spillage and crumbs. Clean walk-in shelving where needed. Clean the outside of dry food containers.
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C- Repair the walls in the back storage area. Baseboard, wall and floor tiles need repair in the kitchen. Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C- Clean floors and walls under and behind equipment.
All American Tattoos & Piercings, 1156 W. Lebanon St., Mount Airy. Inspected March 28, Violation: 1) Records: monthly records of bacterial endospore destruction tests maintained for each autoclave The most recent endospore test result had been completed, but within the last year, the months of April, May, June and October were missing. The endospore test must be completed at least once monthly.