Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
El Ahorro Meat Market and Mexican Restaurant, 1019 N. Bridge St., Elkin. Inspected March 30, score 96. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties: Certified Food Protection Manager – C — There was no food safety certified person(s)-in-charge during the inspection today. A food safety certified person-in-charge must be here during all operating hours.
2) Toxic substances properly identified, stored, and used: Common Name-Working Containers – PF — One cleaner and one bottle of sanitizer was not labeled. This was immediately corrected.
3) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: Equipment and Utensils, Air-Drying Required – C — Several dishes were nested together while still wet. All dishes must be air-dried completely after washing. Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C — Do not store the ice scoop in the ice machine. As the ice machine makes new ice, there is a potential that the ice scoop gets buried. Store the scoop on a cleaned and sanitized surface or in a cleaned and sanitized container.
4) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C — The filters in the hood system were missing today. An employee stated that they were taken to be cleaned. However, they should not be left out of the hood system while employee are cooking. Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Keep all storage at least 6 inches off of the floor to facilitate cleaning, including chemicals (under the three-compartment sink). Repair the broken tile to the left of the fryer. **A new tile floor was added in the back room. Good job! Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the hood system.
El Milagro, 1404 N. Bridge St., Elkin. Inspected March 30, Score, 90. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties REPEAT VIOLATION: Certified Food Protection Manager – C- At least one employee who has supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct and control food preparation and service shall be a certified food protection manager by taking and passing an ansi accredited program (servsafe for example). This person must be present during the operations including during the inspection.
2) Food obtained from approved source: Compliance with Food Law – P,PF- Observed dried sierra fish with no labeling. Packaged food shall be labeled as specified by law, including 21 cfr 101 food labeling. Fish – p- fish that are received for sale or service shall be approved for sale or service. Cdi by discarding the fish.
3) Food in good condition, safe and unadulterated: Safe, Unadulterated and Honestly Presented – P,PF- Observed container of various peppers that were beginning to decompose in the walk-in cooler. Cdi by owner discarding the peppers.
4) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P- At the time of inspection, the sanitizer in the 3-compartment sink was not strong enough and dishes were in the sanitizer. Sanitizer must be between 50-200 ppm chlorine when sanitizing dishes. CDI by making new sanitizer. Clean and sanitize the cutting boards.
5) Proper cold holding temperatures: Potentially Hazardous Food (Time/Temperature Control for Safety Food), Hot and Cold Holding – P-observed cooked vegetable in the sandwich unit at 47 degrees F Eggs stored at room temperature (76 F) And cooked peppers at91 F. TCS food may be stored at 45 F And below until January 1, 2019 and shall be stored at 41 F And below thereafter. Discarded the eggs (room temp for 4 days) And the peppers (out over 2 hours).
6) Contamination prevented during food preparation, storage and display: Miscellaneous Sources of Contamination – C- Observed cilantro that was wrapped in paper towels and suran wrap and stored in a trash bag. Do not store cilantro this way. Not an approved container. Place in a cleanable container. Trash bag is unapproved.
7) In-use utensils: properly stored 0 PTS: In-Use Utensils, Between-Use Storage – C- observed a bowl that was stored in the salt. Only store a scoop with the handle out of the food to prevent contamination. Cdi by removing the bowl.
8) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C- Replace the frame on the ice machine. Tape is not allowed to be used. Repair the large sandwich unit where the temperature varies between 40-47 degrees F. Replace the split gasket on the large sandwich unit. Shelving is rusty in the large sandwich unit and the walk-in shelving. Good Repair and Calibration-Utensils and Temperature and Pressure Measuring Devices – C- Replace the thermometer in the large sandwich unit. Inaccurate.
9) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C- Clean floors and walls under and behind equipment and along floor joints. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C-floor tiles chipping/cracking going into the walk-in cooler.
Golden China, 109 Llewellyn St., Dobson. Inspected March 28, score 97.5. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Before Use After Cleaning – P – An employee was witnessed washing and rinsing a bowl and then placed the item on the drain board to air dry without first sanitizing it. All food contact surfaces must be both cleaned and sanitized. Sanitizer was prepared in the third compartment and the bowl was sanitized to correct the violation. Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P – (REPEAT) Several pans and plastic containers were found with build-up inside of them today. Keep all food contact surfaces clean to sight and touch. The trays and conainers were placed on the dirty drainboard to be re-washed to correct the violation.
2) Toxic substances properly identified, stored, and used: Conditions of Use – P,PF – Two containers of bug spray were found in the front closet of the establishment that are not designed for use in a food service establishment. The two containers of bug spray were removed from the operation to correct the violation.
Hampton Inn & Suites year-round spa, 150 Charlestowne Dr., Dobson. Inspected April 1. Violations: None.