DOBSON — The Surry County Sheriff’s Office announced Friday that a city-county drug probe, spanning six months and centered on a Flat Rock residence, has resulted in 11 people being arrested.
During that time frame, authorities investigated alleged wrongdoing at 122 Southview St., Mount Airy, which resulted from reports by residents of suspicious activity at that location.
After what was described as “an exhausting and time-consuming” inquiry, investigators learned that some individuals frequenting the residence had outstanding criminal charges.
The first break in the case came on June 9, when officers arrested Annette Marie Freeman, 31, of 675 Allred Mill Road, Mount Airy, and Sara Leigh Sawyers, 42, of 14423 Fancy Gap Highway, Cana, Virginia. The pair, both of whom were wanted — Freeman in Virginia and Sawyers in Surry County — were taken into custody after allegedly leaving the Southview Street residence carrying 50 grams of methamphetamine.
As the investigation progressed, officers continued to identify various individuals coming to and from the residence, gathering information about them and their connections to illegal activities.
On June 14, Surry County and Mount Airy narcotics officers allegedly observed Jimmy Cole Pike, 27, of 112 Westwood Drive, Mount Airy, and Andrew Ryan Thompson, 29, of 169 Barker Lane, Mount Airy, leaving 122 Southview St.
Also in the vehicle was Ashley Luann Goins, 28, of 511 Gillespie St., Dobson.
Officers knew Pike was wanted for numerous criminal charges, including manufacturing methamphetamine and cutting off an electronic monitoring device he had been ordered to wear as a result of being released on parole.
A vehicle stop was conducted on Lovers Lane, where Pike fled from the vehicle and was apprehended after a foot chase. A subsequent search of the vehicle yielded 24 grams of methamphetamine and a small amount of marijuana, investigators say.
The latest arrests in the probe came on June 17, when investigators had accumulated enough information to establish probable cause to issue a search warrant for 122 Southview St., the residence of James Michael Trevathan, 60, along with Edward Bruce Austin, 50; Peggy Lynn McMillian, 42; and Tommy Haskell McMillian, 45.
Early that morning, the warrant was executed by the Surry County Sheriff’s Office Special Enforcement Team and city police. Seized during the search were a small quantity of methamphetamine, items of drug paraphernalia and a handgun.
The breakdown of charges against those implicated, who were jailed under large secured bonds, includes:
• James Michael Trevathan, possession of methamphetamine; possession of drug paraphernalia; maintaining a drug dwelling; possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver marijuana; and possession of marijuana paraphernalia. Trevathan’s bond was set by a Surry County magistrate at $100,000.
• Annette Marie Freeman, three counts of trafficking methamphetamine; maintaining a drug vehicle; possession of drug paraphernalia; and a felony probation violation. Freeman was held under a $125,000 bond.
• Sara Leigh Sawyers, three counts of trafficking methamphetamine; possession of drug paraphernalia; maintaining a drug vehicle; and an order for arrest for failing to appear in court. Sawyers’ bond was set at $100,000.
• Jimmy Cole Pike, manufacturing methamphetamine; possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver methamphetamine; possession of drug paraphernalia; possession of marijuana; maintaining a drug vehicle; resisting a public officer; possession of marijuana paraphernalia; and interfering with an electronic monitoring device.
Pike’s bond on the charges resulting from the June 14 arrest was set at $85,000. He was held without bond for the parole violation.
• Andrew Ryan Thompson, possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver methamphetamine; possession of drug paraphernalia; maintaining a drug vehicle; and possession of marijuana. Thompson’s bond was set at $50,000.
• Ashley Luann Goins, possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia. Goins’ bond was set at $25,000.
• Edward Bruce Austin, possession of methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia. His bond was set at $10,000.
• Sue Ann Dunn, 38, of 339 Arnder Road, Pilot Mountain, possession of methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond was set at $10,000.
• Peggy Lynn McMillian, possession of methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia, with bond set at $10,000.
• Tommy Haskell McMillian, possession of methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond was set at $10,000.
• Sonya Kaye Chappell, 45, who also was located at 122 Southview St. during the search, was arrested on outstanding warrants for failing to appear in court on drug and weapons charges. Her bond was set at $15,000.