Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words, in the exact wording of the inspector.
Bojangles of Dobson #856, 402 E. Atkins St., Dobson. Inspected April 14, score 96.5. Violations: 1) Toxic substances properly identified, stored, and used: Sanitizers, Criteria-Chemicals – P – Sanitizer in the wiping cloth bucket and sanitizer bottle tested above 200ppm chlorine today. Keep all sanitizer prepared between 50 and 200ppm chlorine. The sanitizer was re-made to correct the violation.
2) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C – Three wiping cloths were found improperly stored today. Keep all cloths used to wipe down equipment or food contact surfaces submerged in a bucket of sanitizer between uses.
3) Single-use and single-service articles; properly stored and used: Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – Clean the single service plate shelving above the front serving line. Clean the single service jelly packet containers.
4) Warewashing facilities: installed, maintained and used; test strips: Sanitizing Solutions, Testing Devices – PF – Quat sanitize test strips were available for chlorine sanitizer today. A testing kit or method must be available for the sanitizer present in the establishment. I will return in 10 days to ensure that a testing kit is available for the chlorine sanitizer or quat sanitizer is available for the quat test strips.
5) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C – Clean the cabinet under the soda fountain. Clean the selving in the walk in cooler. Clean the steam table at the biscuit hot hold area.
6) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Cleaning of Plumbing Fixtures – C – Clean the urinal and toilets at the base of the fixtures in the men’s and women’s restroom.
Coppolas Pizzeria, 692 S. Andy Griffith Parkway Suite 107. Inspected April 11, score 94.5. Violations: 1) Hands clean and properly washed: When to Wash – P – An employee was witnessed handling raw beef and then handled cheese without first washing their hands. Employees must wash their hands between handling raw meats and ready to eat foods. The employee voluntarily threw away the cheese, washed their hands and changed gloves to correct the violation.
2) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment Food-Contact Surfaces and Utensils-Frequency – C – The soda nozzles had mold build-up on them today. Clean the soda nozzles at a frequency to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria build-up. The nozzles were replaced to correct the violation. Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P – The pizza station wiping cloth bucket tested below 50ppm chlorine today. Keep all sanitizer prepared between 50 and 200ppm chlorine. The sanitizer was remade to correct the violation.
3) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C – Several wet wiping cloths were found improperly stored today. All cloths used to wipe down equipment or food contact surfaces must be submerged in a bucket of sanitizer between uses.
4) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: Equipment and Utensils, Air-Drying Required – C – A cutting board and several plastic and metal contaienrs were found wet nested today. Allow all containers and food contact surfaces to air dry before stacking them. Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – Keep all utensils stored in a clean and sanitized location. Keep sanitized items separate from non-sanitized items. A knive and vegetable peeler were found in a bucket with tape, markers and a wrench.
5) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C – Clean the handle of the microwave on the grill line. Clean the non-food contact surfaces of the ice machine. Clean the outside of the sanitizer bottle near the sauce prep unit.
6) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Repair or replace the door at the back of the facility that does not seal when it closes. Repair the floor in the women’s restroom and under the tea station where floor tiles are coming loose.
Dunmore Plantation rest home, 515 W. Kapp St., Dobson. Inspected April 14, score 98. Violations: 1) Bedpans, urinals, bedside commodes and emises basins properly cleaned and disinfected The B side toilet chair in the main bath had build-up on the underside of the seat today. Clean the toilet chair thoroughly. An unlabeled urinal was found in room 128. Disposable bedpans and urinals must be labeled with the patients name and date.
2) Water foundations clean, good repair, properly regulated The B side water fountain was found with build-up on the nozzle today. Keep the water fountain faucet clean and free of mold and bacteria build-up.
3) Patient contact items in good repair, properly stored, cleaned and disinfected Adult diapers were found stored on the floor in room 116, 103 and 128. All patient care items must be stored at least eight inches off of the floor. Replace the matress in room 115 and matress cover in room 128. Replace the damaged pillow case in room 128. Clean the underside of the shower chair in the A side shower room.