Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Grassy Creek Wine Tasting Room, 235 Chatham Cottage Circle, State Road. Inspected May 12, score 98. Violations: 1) Toxic substances properly identified, stored, and used: Conditions of Use – P,PF – Only pesticides designed for use in a food service establishment can be used in the wine tasing room. Two pest control containers were found during inspection today. These items were removed to correct the violation. Sanitizers, Criteria-Chemicals – P – The sanitizer was found with a concentration above 200ppm chlorine in the spray bottle. Keep all sanitizer prepared between 50 and 200ppm chlorine. The sanitizer was weakened to correct the violation.
2) Warewashing facilities: installed, maintained and used; test strips: Pressure Measuring Devices, Mechanical Warewashing Equipment – C – (REPEAT) The pressure gauge needs to be repaired on the dish machine.
3) Garbage and refuse properly disposed; facilities maintained: Maintaining Refuse Areas and Enclosures – C – Clean the dumpster pad where leaf litter has accumulated.
Quality Inn seasonal swimming pool, 2136 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Inspected June 6. Violations: 1) Water quality: pool water pH The pH was reading greater than 8.0 at the time of inspection. After the addition of a pH decreaser, it was corrected to 7.4 during the inspection.
2) Water quality: daily written records of water quality and test kit kept on site There were a few days in May that pH, chlorine, and the drains were not checked and recorded. These items must be completed every day. Total alkaliny and cyanurlc acid have not been recorded since May 25. Free chlorine, pH, the drain inspection, total alkalinity (70 ppm) and cyanuric acid (35 ppm) were all checked and recorded today to correct this.
3) Pool maintenance: pool walls and floor kept clean, free of debris and in good repair Repair the broken floor tile where the ladder is located in the 5 FT section.
4) Premises: fence or barrier with self-closing, self-latching gates properly constructed and maintained The vertical members of the fence are spaced 5 inches apart. The vertical members cannot be spaced more than 4 inches apart.
5) Equipment room: filter backwash discharged through an air gap Filter backwash must be discharged through an air gap.
Roxxi and Lulu’s and Heaven’s Scent, 280 Standard St., Elkin. Inspected May 12, score 96.5. Violations: 10 Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P – The sanitizer tested below 50ppm chlorine in the dish machine. I will return in 10 days to ensure that the dish machine is properly sanitizing. The establishment will sanitize dishes in the three compartment sink until the dish machine is fixed.
2) Proper date marking and disposition: Ready-To-Eat Potentially Hazardous Food (Time/Temperature Control for Safety Food), Date Marking – PF – (REPEAT) Milk and pasta salad was found without date markings today. Pesto and cheddar chive spread was found with a date marking of 5/3/16, but had been prepared on the 7th. Date marking must be accurate to be effective. All food products were date marked to correct the violation. Ready-To-Eat Potentially Hazardous Food (Time/Temperature Control for Safety Food), Disposition – P – Ham was found in the reach in cooler with a prep date of 5/5/16 and discard of 5/13/16. Date marked Food products must be sold, served or discarded within 7 days of being opened, prepared or cooked. The ham was voluntarily thrown away to correct the violation.
3) Consumer advisory provided for raw or undercooked foods: Consumption of Animal Foods that are Raw, Undercooked, or Not Otherwise Processed to Eliminate Pathogens – PF – The current consumer advisory does not disclose what food items may be served raw or undercooked. I will return in 10 days to ensure that the consumer advisory states that eggs may be served raw or undercooked.
Shoals Pre K child care, 1800 Shoals Rd., Pinnacle. Violations: 1) Hot water supplied and maintained as required in all other areas:. Water in the classroom at 67 F. Water should be between 80-110 F.
2) Properly sized, located, accessible, and in good repair; sinks, toilets and potty chairs cleaned and disinfected:continue replacing faucets in the hallway bathrooms.
3) Easily cleanable, clean, and in good repair; carpets vacuumed as required and extraction cleaned; date cleaned: Walls need painting in the boys and girls hallway bathrooms.
Wal-mart Deli #1337, 548 CC Camp Rd., Elkin. Inspected May 8, score, 97.5. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P – The sanitizer in the three compartment sink tested below 150ppm quat today. Keep all sanitizer prepared to the manufacturers specifications. The sanitizer was re-made to correct the violation.
2) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Cleaning of Plumbing Fixtures – C – Clean under the urinals and bases of the toilets in the men’s restroom where build-up has formed.
3) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C – Clean the light globes in the hood system that have grease build-up on them. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Repair the floor at the front of the deep fryer where the cement patch is wearing through.