Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Pizza Hut of Elkin 3505, 1039 N. Bridge St., Elkin. Inspected July 20, score 96.5. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P — Several plates were found with left-on food on them after washing and placing up for customer use (at the buffet). Also, a couple of containers were found with food inside of them after washing and lacing up for future use (white containers used for food storage in the back prep area). Ensure dishes are completely clean before palcing them up ready-to-use. This was corrected by washing the dishes.
2) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: Equipment and Utensils, Air-Drying Required – C — REPEAT: Several plastic containers and stainless steel pans were found nested wet. After washing, dishes must be placed so that they can be allowed to air-dry.
3) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean all nonfood contact surfaces (top of equipment, shelving, mobile racks in the walk-in cooler, top of the dish machine, etc.).
4) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean floors where needed. 6-201.11 Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Keep strainers in floor sinks. Fill any holes in the walls with caulk/silicone and be sure the wall is smooth after applying. Keep all storage at least 6 inches off of the floor to facilitate cleaning. **Great improvement here by regrouting the floor.
Subway, 647-H S. Key St., Pilot Mountain. Inspected July 21, score 100. Violations: none
Sue S, 911 E. Atkins St., Dobson. Inspected July 21, score 96. Violationss: 1) Insects and rodents not present; no unauthorized animals: Controlling Pests – PF- Flies numerous. Exterminate.
2) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C- REpair the tall one-door reach-in cooler door handle on the cook line. Do not use tape. Not easy to clean. Gasket in bad repair on the sandwich unit, one-door reach-in on the cook line, salad cooler and walk-in cooler. Sand and paint rusty prep table shelving. Shelving in the salad cooler rusty and needs to be repaired or replaced. Replace missing knobs on the grill.
3) Warewashing facilities: installed, maintained and used; test strips: Manual Warewashing Equipment, Wash Solution Temperature – PF- Observed employee washing dishes in wash water that was 104 f. When actively washing dishes, the water must be at least 110 F. CDI by employee draining the water and running new wash water.
4) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils- Clean sides, legs, tops, and feet of equipment for dust, grease, and crumbs. Clean inside refrigeration and freezers throughout. Special attention in the grill and fryer areas. Heavy grease build-up. Clean shelving in reach-in units. Clean the outside of the dry good containers. Clean the fan. Clean fryers. Clean inside the self-service counter.
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C- Repair baseboard where it is coming off the wall. Re-grout floors where needed. Replace missing baseboard tiles (cooking area). Tighten the toilet seat in the woman’s restroom. Bathroom stall rusty beside the urinal in the men’s restroom. Replace water-damaged ceiling tiles. Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C- Clean floors, walls and ceilings throughout. Heavy cleaning needed under/behind equipment. Cleaning needed in floor sinks. Clean bugs and grease/dust from light fixtures. Clean ceilings throughout. Clean can wash area walls. Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C- Ceiling tiles must be easy to clean and washable in the kitchen. Replace tiles that are absorbent.
6) Meets ventilation and lighting requirements; designated areas used: Cleaning Ventilation Systems, Nuisance and Discharge Prohibition – C- Kitchen is becoming smoky because hood is not pulling out smoke effectively. Have the hood serviced and cleaned.
The Loaded Goat, 247 City Hall St., Mount Airy. Inspected July 22, score 96.5. Violations: Proper cold holding temperatures: Potentially Hazardous Food (Time/Temperature Control for Safety Food), Hot and Cold Holding – P – The raw chicken egg wash was found on ice with a temperature above 45 degrees F. Chopped romaine and pepper jack cheese was found in the salad prep unit with a temperature above 45 degrees F. Keep all potentially hazardous foods at or below 45 degrees F. when holding them cold. The egg wash and chopped romaine was voluntarily thrown away to correct the violation. The pepper jack cheese was relocated to correct the violation. I will return in 10 days to ensure that the prep unit is able to maintain all potentially hazardous foods at a temperature of 45 degrees F. or below.
2) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C – Both wiping cloth buckets tested below 150ppm quat today. Wiping cloth buckets must be filled and maintained with approved sanitizer. The sanitizer was remade to correct the violation.
3) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Food Equipment, Certification and Classification – C – (REPEAT) Remove the domestic crock pots from the establishment. Equipment must be certified and used for its intended purpose. Repeat points were not assessed because the food processor was removed from the operation. The food processor still needs to be removed from the establishment.
4) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C – Clean the floors in the side storage room where build-up has formed.