Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Starlite Motel, 240 Starlite Rd., Mount Airy. Inspected July 25, score 74. Violations: 1) Fixtures clean and in good repair, provided in each room if required *REPEAT VIOLATION* BAthroom fixtures need cleaning and repair. Room 102 and 117 toilet and bathtubs needed cleaning. Observed hair and mold. Shower head in the room 102 has some mold growth. In room 117, repair to the shower faucets that do not work properly, replace missing faucet handles on the vanity sink, and replace the vanity cabinet that is deteriorating from water damage. Shower curtains moldy and in bad repair in room 102.
2) Lavatory and vanity sanitized, testing method available and used *REPEAT VIOLATION* observed housekeeping cart without supplies and all available bottles of cleaners and sanitizers were empty or unopened. Vanities must be sanitized between patrons daily. Need a way to check the concentration of the odoban or use chlorine (bleach) Water with chlorine test strips to measure the strength of the chlorine for sanitizing vanities. .
3) Towels provided clean and in good repair, soap *REPEAT VIOLATION* Observed stained and torn towels and wash cloths in rooms 102 and 117. Replace. Towels and wash cloths shall be cleaned and in good repair.
4) Floors, walls and ceilings cleanable, clean and in good repair *REPEAT VIOLATION* Floors, walls and ceilings of bathrooms need cleaning and repair. Water damage, mold, soiled walls, holes, missing/loose baseboard. Room 117 bathroom door frame needs to be repaired and painted. Replace damaged bathroom door in room 117. Repair the bathroom doorknob in room 102. Clean the cobwebs in the corners in room 102.
5) Hot and cold running water provided (116-128 F) in guestrooms Water temperature in room 102 was 103 f today. Hot water must be maintained between 116-128 f at all times. Adjust the water to meet this rule.
6) Sheets, pillowcases, blankets and bed spreads clean and in good repair *REPEAT VIOLATION* Bedspreads, sheets (fitted and top sheets) , and pillowcases torn, stained and in bad repair. Observed cigarette burns in bedspreads. Replace all bedding that is in bad repair or stained.
7) Floors, walls, and ceilings clean and in good repair Clean walls (soiled) And carpeting especially behind furniture and along baseboards in rooms 102 and 117. Wall repair needed in room 117. Carpet needs cleaning and vacuuming in both.
8) Furniture, fixtures and accessories clean and in good repair *REPEAT VIOLATION* Furniture in bad repair (knobs missing), chairs with torn seat fabric. Mattresses stained and in bad repair (holes/torn). Microwave rusty (117). Refrigeration dirty and in bad repair in room 117. Clean inside drawers throughout. Remove clothing from drawer in room 102. Clean picture frames. Replace stained/torn pillows. Air conditioner facing in room 117 is broken. Clean window sill in room 117.
9) No roaches, flies or other pests Observed bed bugs in room 102, roaches in room 117, and numerous flies congregating around an old refrigerator sitting on the sidewalk outside of the rooms. Contact a pest control operator for extermination and advice for prevention in the future.
10) Storage provided for supplies, linen and equipment; kept cleanlaundry and storage rooms need to be cleaned and unnecessary items removed from the facility. Store supplies off of the floor to facilitate cleaning.
11) Rubbish, litter and other items not permitted to accumulate on the premises Pick up trash, food debris, and cigarette butts around the building and trash and rubbish around the dumpster and yard area. Dispose of all dirty mattresses that are around the property. Clean out the storage building in the back of the facility (toilets, mattresses and other construction/remodeling materials).
Surry Inn, 2340 Zephyr Rd., Dobson. Inspected July 26, score 95.5. Violations: 1) Lavatory and vanity sanitized, testing method available and used This facility is using a bleach and water solution to disinfect the vanities in the rooms, but the office employee could not locate chlorine test strips to check the concentration. The office employee was not sure if the facility had chlorine test strips.
2) Storage provided for supplies, linen and equipment; kept clean The storage rooms have a lot of storage on the floor, including supplies. Regulations require that supplies and linens be kept off of the floor.
3) Rubbish, litter and other items not permitted to accumulate on the premises There are several areas around the premises where unused or otherwise in bad repair air conditioners are being stored. Do not allow items that are not necessary to the operation of the establishment accumulate on the premises. This also includes the storage building behind the facility that has numerous unused/non
Taqueria El. Mexicano, 7886 hwy. 268, Dobson. Inspected July 25, score 87. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties: Certified Food Protection Manager – C – No one is currently certified as a food protection manger at this location. The person in charge must be certified as a food protection manager.
2) Food separated and protected: Packaged and Unpackaged Food-Separation, Packaging, and Segregation – P – *REPEAT* Raw chicken and steak was found stored above cooked chicarrones and raw chorizo and eggs were found above produce in the walk in cooler. Raw steak was found above cheese in the walk in freezer. Raw chorizo was found in the same container as cheese and mayonase in the walk in cooler. Keep all raw meats stored below or away from ready to eat foods. Several boxes of produce were found on the floor in the walk in cooler. Keep all food items stored at least six inches off of the floor. Raw meats and produce were relocated to correct the violation.
3) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P – (REPEAT) The slicer and ice crusher had build-up on them where they had been used on a previous day and had not been cleaned and sanitized.. Keep all food contact surfaces clean to sight and touch. The slicer and ice crusher were cleaned and sanitized to correct the violation.
4) Proper cold holding temperatures: Potentially Hazardous Food (Time/Temperature Control for Safety Food), Hot and Cold Holding – P – Sliced tomatoes and roasted peppers were found off of temperature control with a temperature above 45 degrees F. Keep all potentially hazarodus foods at or below 45 degrees F. when holding them cold. The food products were voluntarily thrown away to correct the violation. Beans were found in te walk in cooler with a temperature of 48 degrees F. where it had been left out during lunch. Keep food products under temprature control (ice or mechanical) in order to maintain temperatures through the lunch rush. The beans were cooled to correct the violation.
5) Proper date marking and disposition: Ready-To-Eat Potentially Hazardous Food (Time/Temperature Control for Safety Food), Date Marking – PF – *REPEAT* No items in the establishment were date marked today. Several foods requiring date marking had been opened, prepared and refrigerated over 24 hours before inspection today. These items were properly date marked to correct the violation. Items in violation were: cooked corn, horchata, cooked beans and hotdogs. These items were properly date marked to correct the violation. Repeat points were not assessed because the previous inspection also included a disposition violation which has been corrected.
6) Contamination prevented during food preparation, storage and display: Miscellaneous Sources of Contamination – C – Chicarrones and tamales were found in “thank-you” to-go bags today. Unwrapped food can only be stored in bags and containers designed for contact with food.
7) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C – The sanitizer in the wiping cloth container was found with a concentration below 50ppm chlorine. Keep all sanitizer prepared between 50 and 200ppm chlorine in the wiping cloth bucket to be considered “approved” sanitizer. The sanitizer was re-made to correct the violation.
8) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C – Repair the prep unit that is no longer working. Food Equipment, Certification and Classification – C – Remove or replace the domestic blender.
9) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C – Clean the tops of the containers in the dry food storage area. Clean the shelving in the walk in cooler.
10) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Toilet Room Receptacle, Covered – C – The trash can in the employee restroom needs to be kept covered.