Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Golden Corral #877, 2226 Rockford St., Mount Airy. inspected Nov. 18, score 93. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Hot Water Sanitization Temperatures – PF – The dish machine final rinse temperature was 145 degrees F. during inspection today. The hot water sanitizing requirement of this dish machine is 180 degrees F. The dish machine was reset and reached the proper temperature and all previously washed dishes were re-washed to correct the violation. Equipment Food-Contact Surfaces and Utensils-Frequency – C – Soda nozzles were found with mold build-up on them at the front and right side station. Keep all soda nozzles cleaned at a frequency to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria build-up. The soda nozzles were cleaned and sanitized to correct the violation.
2) Proper cold holding temperatures: Potentially Hazardous Food (Time/Temperature Control for Safety Food), Hot and Cold Holding – P – Cheesecake, rice and cut cabbage was found off of temperature control with a temperature above 45 degrees F. A container of raw fish was found sitting on ice with a temperature above 45 degrees F. Keep all potentially hazardous foods at or below 45 degrees F. when holding them cold. Keep ice around food products to ensure that they maintain a temperature at or below 45 degrees F. when they are being held off of mechanical refrigeration. The fish, rice and cabbage was voluntarily thrown away and the cheesecakes were chilled to correct the violation.
3) Insects and rodents not present; no unauthorized animals: Outer Openings, Protected – C – *REPEAT* Replace or repair the self-closers on the back doors of the restaurant so that they close properly.
4) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – Clean the utensil storage bins near the dish machine.
5) Single-use and single-service articles; properly stored and used: Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – A box of paper towels and toilet paper were found on the floor of the outside storage building. Keep all single service items stored at least six inches off of the floor.
6) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C – Clean the inside of the hot hold at the produce area. Clean the shelving in the breakfast area reach in cooler. Clean the bottom of the reach in freezer near the deep fryers.
7) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Replace the missing tiles at the entrance to the walk in freezer. Repair the wall between the dish machine and dry storage area. Repair the door jamb that is rusting at the entrance to the meat prep room.
Pilot Knob Inn, 361 New Pilot Knob Lane, Pinnacle. Inspected Nov. 15, score 97.5. Violations: 1) Food service equipment and fixtures clean .3008 Clean the inside of the reach in freezer. Clean inside the utensil drawer and storage cabinet. Clean the inside of the top oven.
2) Bathroom fixtures clean and in good repair .3009 Clean the shower curtain and re-seal the tub to the wall in the penthouse suite. Repair or replace the toilet seat in the bathroom off of the breakfast area.
3) Floors, walls, ceilings, windows clean and in good repair, non-absorbent and easily cleanable where required .3009, .3015 Clean the blinds in the Pent house suite and Pilot Knob suite. Repair the door screen at the love shack. Clean the air vent in the Pent house suite and the bathroom off of the kitchen at the breakfast area.
Quality Inn Mount Airy Breakfast Bar, 2136 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Inspected Nov. 24, score 96. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Hot Water and Chemical-Methods – P- According to an employee, they are sanitizing dishes by rolling the dishes around in a solution from a bottle of quat sanitizer that when poured in the sink, would not allow the dishes to be submerged. When using quaternary ammonia, dishes must me submerged for at least 30 seconds to ensure they are properly sanitized. The employees were educated on how to properly sanitize.
2) Single-use and single-service articles; properly stored and used: Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C — Observed several beverage cups stored with the mouth-contact surfaces exposed. Beverage cups must be kept in approved dispensers with proper lids or they may be kept in the original plastic sleeve to protect the mouth-contact surfaces.
3) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C- Clean the top inside of the kitchen microwave and dining area. Wipe the inside of the refrigerator in the kitchen. Clean inside the cappuccino, juice and coffee machines. Wipe inside cabinets in dining area where needed.
4) Plumbing installed; proper backflow devices: System Maintained in Good Repair – C – Repair the urinal in the men’s room that isn’t flushing properly.
5) Garbage and refuse properly disposed; facilities maintained: Covering Receptacles – C — A dumpster door was open at the time of inspection. Keep dumpster doors closed at all times.