The Surry Arts Council has released the results from a youth music competition which took place on Saturday.
Saturday’s competition has been a part of the Tommy Jarrell Festival for the duration of the festival’s 16-year history, according to Surry Arts Council Executive Director Tanya Jones.
Children competed at the Earle Theatre, with competition beginning at 1:30 p.m. They were grouped by instrument and age. Children ages 5 through 12 competed against each other, and those ages 13 through 18 squared off against each other.
Winners were as follows.
• In the fiddle competition for 5-year-olds through 12-year-olds, Lake Carver, 7, of Mocksville finished on top of the pack. Victoria Blakley, 12, of Tobaccoville, was runner-up and Hallie Younger, 12, of Ronda, finished third.
• In vocals competition for the younger division, Hallie Younger finished first. Lake Carver was second, and Victoria Blakley rounded out the top-three.
• In the 13- through 18-year-olds fiddle competition, Taylor Galyean, 13, of Lowgap, won, and Christina Blakley, 15, of Tobaccoville, finished in second place.
• Travis Watts, 15, of Toast, finished first in the guitar competition for those ages 13 through 18.
• Chasity McGirt, 15, of Mount Airy, Travis Watts and Christina Blakley finished first through third, respectively, in the vocals competition for the elder age division.