In the face of threatened interruptions of social services like WIC and Food Stamps as a result of the federal government’s shutdown, Dennis Barnette, chair of the county’s Board of Health, as well as other members are encouraging local residents to donate foods to the local food banks listed below:
• Foothills Food Pantry — 233 Cooper Street, Dobson, N.C. 27017. 336-386-8405.
• Yokefellow Ministries — 215 Jones School Road, Mount Airy, N.C. 27030. 336-789-5838.
• Tri-County Ministries — 134 Bluff Street. Jonesville, N.C., 28642. 336-526-1089.
• Lion’s Den Ministries —119 W. Pine Street, Mount Airy, N.C. 27030. 336-755-3479.
• Maranatha Homeless Outreach — 180 Cedar Lake Trail, Mount Airy, N.C. 366-755-1152.
Anyone who cannot get to one of the food banks during their regular operational hours can drop off non-perishable food items at the county health department, located in the County Government Center in Dobson.
The food items needed are as follows:
• Box cereal.
• Dry beans and peas.
• Peanut butter.
• Canned tuna/salmon.
• Canned fruit.
• Baby formula.
• Infant cereal.
• Jars of baby food.
• Fresh fruit.
• Fresh vegetables.
Reach Keith Strange at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-1929.