Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Sonic Drive In 1194, 697 Independence Blvd., Mount Airy. Inspected May 18, score 93.5. Violations: 1) Food separated and protected: Packaged and Unpackaged Food-Separation, Packaging, and Segregation – P- Observed bagged ice used to previously chill shake mix stored on top of the ice inside the ice machine. The bags of ice could potentially contaminate the ice. CDI by pic removing the bags of ice and removing the ice from the bin where the bags where placed.
2) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C- Fryers are leaking oil into the bottom cabinet. Repair. Walk-in cooler door gasket in bad repair. Shelving in the sandwich unit, walk-in cooler and dry storage rusty and in bad repair. Defrost hamburger freezer. Repair the walk-in cooler door closer.
3) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C-clean tops, sides, bottoms, facings and tops of equipment on the cook line for dust, grease and crumbs. Clean shelving in the walk-in and reach-in units. Clean bottom shelf on prep tables. Clean fryer cabinets. There is a heavy grease build-up from leaks inside these cabinets. Clean gaskets.
4) Hot and cold water available; adequate pressure: Capacity-Quantity and Availability – PF – At the time of inspection, hot water was not available at all times. One instant water heater is currently installed and cannot provide hot water throughout the day. Additional instant heaters need to be installed to meet the peak hot water demands throughout the food establishment. I will return within 10 days for compliance. Please contact me for approval.
5) Plumbing installed; proper backflow devices: Approved System and Cleanable Fixtures – C- Handsinks in the bathrooms are stained and not easy to clean. The porcelain sinks lost their protective glaze causing staining and when repaired the paint is starting to peel. Repair/replace.
6) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Cleaning of Plumbing Fixtures – C- Handsinks throughout the facility need to be cleaned.
7) Garbage and refuse properly disposed; facilities maintained: Outdoor Storage Surface – C- Clean the dumpster pad. Heavy grease build up. Cleaning Receptacles – C- Waste receptcles in the kitchen and bathrooms need cleaning. Schedule dumpster and grease container cleaning as well. Covering Receptacles – C- Keep dumpster and grease container doors closed at all times.
8) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C- Repair door jambs. Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C- Clean floors/walls under and behind equipment. Attention needed in cooking area. Clean ceiling tiles. Repair the ceiling in the men’s restroom. Possible water damage due to moldy smell. Drying Mops – C- Air dry mops with the handle up. Do not leave in mop bucket. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C- REpair the holes in the walls where equipment has been removed. Sand and paint or replace air conditioning vents that are not easily cleanable. Women’s toilet seat is broken. Repair/replace. Walls and Ceilings, Studs, Joists, and Rafters – C- Replace missing ceiling tiles that are in the kitchen.
West Pine Drive In, 675 West Pine St., Mount Airy. Inspected May 16, score 96.5. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties: Certified Food Protection Manager – C — Beginning January 1, 2014, it became a requirement that an ANSI-approved food safety certified person-in-charge be on the premises during all operating hours. There was no food safety certified person-in-charge here that has taken the class since the last certification expired.
2) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C — Replace any split gaskets on unit doors. Sand and paint any rusty, chipping racks. Sand and paint the inside of the reach-in cooler. Good Repair and Calibration-Utensils and Temperature and Pressure Measuring Devices – C — Replace or repair the knife with a damaged handle.
3) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floors underneath equipment and shelving, where needed. Clean base tile where needed. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C — Repair the wall in the storage room. There should be no openings to the inside of the wall. Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Grout/seal the tile where needed.
White Plains Elementary School lunch room, 710 Cadle Ford Road, Mount Airy. Inspected May 17, score 98.5. Violation: Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P – The slicer was found with build-up on the blade from a previous day. All food contact surfaces must be clean to sight and touch. The slicer was removed to be cleaned and sanitized to correct the violation.
White Plains Elementary School, 710 Cadle Ford Road, Mount Airy. Inspected May 17, score 95.
Violations: 1) Toilet facilities: Walls and ceilings clean, nonabsorbent, washable, and in good repair 30#; fixtures clean and in good repair 40#; floors impervious, kept clean 30# (.2408) *REPEAT* Repair the bathroom stalls that are swollen and damaged in the cafeteria restrooms and the 4-5 girls restroom.
2) Storage spaces: Clean 20#; storage off floor 20# (.2411) Keep all general storage at least 15 inches off of the floor. Improper storage was found in storage rooms, trailer # 2 and the gym storage room. Clean the floor in the gym storage room. Dust the white boards in room 145 and 149. Dust the white boards and shelving in room 143.