PILOT MOUNTAIN — The East Surry girls tennis team won by a score of 8-1 on Monday, dominating on the road against South Stokes.
The Cards played eight game pro sets since South Stokes only has five unlit courts.
The win advanced the Cards overall record to 5-3.
The Cards are 2-2 in the conference and tied with North Stokes for third.
So far, Bishop McGuinness leads the Northwest 1A conference and Mount Airy is second.
East Surry Head Coach David Kidd said, “It was great to get such a big win after a tough loss at Bishop McGuinness last week. It was the best tennis some of my girls have played so far this season.”
Results in singles were:
1. Tiffany King 8-0 over Jenny Glidewell
2. Haley Manuel 8-3 over Taylor Evans
3. Brooke Tickle 8-4 over Julie Linville
4. Allie Hawks 9-7 over Kaitlyn Denny
5. Mikayla Manuel 8-5 over Kristen Denny
6. East’s Michela Coppola lost 2-8 to Jenny Smith
1. King and H. Manuel 8-1 over Glidewell and Kaitlin Denny
2. Tickle and Hawks 8-6 over Evans and Linville
3. M. Manuel and Sarah Gibson 8-0 over Kristen Denny and Nora Skinner
The Cards tennis team will play at home against West Stokes today.
Kidd said he was not sure what to expect just yet in the match against West Stokes, but told the team to come ready to play.
According mytennisnetwork.com, King and Mikayla Manuel have won the most matches recording 10 overall. They have only lost five each so far.