Submissions to the community calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought into The Mount Airy News office before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, 319 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Copeland Baptist Church, 169 Stony Knoll Road, Dobson, will have a fundraiser to benefit the church’s backpack ministry Saturday from 5 p.m. until. Menu includes hamburger steak, potatoes, slaw, bread, dessert and drink, with a cost of donations only. The meal will be in the church fellowship hall.
• Bannertown Baptist Church, 1834 Westfield Road, will have a blood drive in the fellowship hall Sunday from 12:30 to 5 p.m. All presenting donor cards will be eligible to win a $1,000 gift card.
• Northside Baptist Church, 886 Fowler Road, Mount Airy, will be having a benefit hot dog/pinto bean supper, bake sale and auction for cancer patient Larry France. The benefit will be held April 21 with the meal starting at 4:30 p.m. until and auction starting at 5 p.m. Cost for the meal is donation only, plates will consist of hot dog, chips, drink and dessert or pinto beans, slaw, cornbread, dessert and drink. All proceeds will go to Larry France to assist with expenses endured over the past few years of battling cancer. Anyone with questions may contact Pastor Dean Eaton at 786-8772 at the church.
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church will have a spring fling bazaar April 21 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the gym, 2063 S. Main St., Mount Airy. This will benefit funds for a new fellowship hall addition. Vendors interested in setting up should call 755-9403.
• Fancy Gap Baptist Church, 1161 W. Lebanon St., Mount Airy, will have a soup kitchen April 21 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Blues Grove Baptist Church is sponsoring a car wash April 28 at Advance Auto in Dobson from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Hot dogs, chips and drinks will be available as well. Cost is donations only.
• Todd Byrd will be the guest speaker at 11 a.m. Sunday at Pilot Mountain Friends Meeting.
• Willow Hill Moravian Church, Ararat, Va., will have its 73rd annual Apple Blossom Festival on Sunday. There will be a band prelude at 2:30 p.m. and the service will begin at 3 p.m. For more information, call Chuck Harmon at 648-4907 or visit www.willowhillmoravian.org.
• Siloam Baptist Church, 6909 Siloam Road, will have a special baptismal service for Ashley, Austin and Ryan Brickell Sunday at 11 a.m. Also, the church will hold revival services Sunday at 6 p.m. and Monday through Wednesday at 7 p.m. Prayer rooms begin 30 minutes before each service. The speaker will be the Rev. Chris Benfield, pastor of Fellowship Baptist Church in Mount Airy. There will be special singing nightly. For more information, call 374-5279.
• Flat Rock Pentecostal Holiness Church, corner of East Pine Street and Pentecostal Church Road, Mount Airy, will have Eric Barger’s Take a Stand revival Sunday through Wednesday with services at 10:50 a.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday and 7 p.m. Monday through Wednesday. For more information, call 325-9667.
• Woodville Baptist Church, N.C. 89 East, between Mount Airy and Westfield, will have revival Sunday through Thursday at 7 p.m. Speaker is Chris McMillian from Slate Mountain. There will be special singing nightly, and prayer room at 6:45 p.m.
• Grace Baptist Church, 209 London Lane, Mount Airy, will have revival Sunday through Friday with Bro. Bruce Wishon. Services are Sunday at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Monday through Friday at 7 p.m. For more information, call Pastor Jerry Pardue at 374-2873 or email email@example.com.
• Mount View Pentecostal Holiness Church will have revival featuring Bishop Tommy McGhee of Cornerstone Conference April 22 at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. and April 23-25 at 7 p.m. There will be special singing with each service. For more information, call Golden Epperson at 276-251-5874, Charles Martin at 786-2995 or Leon Hooker at 351-2744.
• Blues Grove Baptist Church will have its spring revival April 22-26 with guest speaker Sammy Lawson and special singing each night.
• Flat Rock Baptist Church will feature the Saint James Male Chorus in concert at 6 p.m. Sunday.
• Mount Airy First Pentecostal Holiness Church will have Law and Grace Singers from Tennessee Sunday at 4 p.m.
• Albion Missionary Baptist Church, 131 Big Sky Trail, Mount Airy, will have a gospel singing with the Bledsoes at 7 p.m. April 28. For more information or directions, call the Rev. Odell Sisk at 368-4102, Tina Abbott at 351-3332 or Fronia Gravely at 351-3817.
• Mount View Pentecostal Holiness Church will have David Goins of Flat Rock in concert April 29 at 6 p.m. For more information, call Golden Epperson at 276-251-5874, Charles Martin at 786-2995 or Leon Hooker at 351-2744.
• Calvary Assembly of God, 136 W. Devon Drive, off Arlington Street, Mount Airy, will have men’s ministry breakfast Saturday at 8 a.m. in the fellowship hall.
• Shoals United Methodist Church, 4245 Shoals Road, Pinnacle, will have an open house and recognition Sunday on Sunday featuring worship and praise from 10 a.m. to noon with speaker Kevin Brown; lunch from 12:30 to 2 p.m. provided by the church prepared by Don Snow; a time of recognition at 2 p.m.; and opening night of the Pilot View/Shoals/Whitaker’s Chapel Charge revival at 7 p.m. with speaker the Rev. John Young. The revival will continue through April 20, with Young speaking Sunday through Tuesday and the Rev. Jack Danley speaking Wednesday through Friday. Those attending should RSVP for lunch by April 8 by contacting the Rev. Joseph M. Fulk III at 325-2189 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Rev. Harold Brown at 325-2453 or email@example.com.
• Flat Rock Baptist Church will have Flat Rock Community Kids Day April 21 from 4 to 7 p.m. with food, games and fun. For more information, call 786-7661.
• Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church will be hosting a ladies conference on May 5 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The guest speaker will be Melanie Summey from Galax, Va. A catered lunch will be served at a cost of $6. The church is at 922 Banner St., Mount Airy. Registration and payment deadline is April 27. Contact Tanya Benfield at 719-0084 for more information.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• Calvary Baptist Church has opened a clothes closet ministry on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. If someone is in need of clothes at other times, call the church office at 786-4778.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., has the following weekly events: worship is Sunday at 10 a.m., Sunday school for all ages is at 11:10 a.m., Kids Club is most Sundays at 5:30 p.m., youth meet Sundays from 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Prayer Group meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Bible study is offered on Thursdays at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5627 weekdays.
• St. Paul Church of the Brethren, 64 Short Drive, Cana, Va., has Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship services at 11 a.m. every Sunday. Bible study is every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Tuesday from 1 to 3 p.m. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• New Vision Christian Academy, 237 Coolidge Ave., Mount Airy, is accepting new students. Open enrollment is for grades one through 12. For more information, call the Flat Rock Church of God at 719-0434.
• The Inspiration Center, 154 N. Renfro St., Suite 100, Mount Airy, offers services on Sundays at 11 a.m. Susie Cooper, spiritual leader, offers special music on the harp and flute.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school each Sunday at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesday each week at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.