Submissions to the community calendar need to be in writing and arrive or be brought into The Mount Airy News office before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions. Information may be mailed to: The Mount Airy News, 319 N. Renfro St., Mount Airy, NC 27030; faxed to 789-2816; or emailed to email@example.com.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Northside Baptist Church, 886 Fowler Road, Mount Airy, will be having a benefit hot dog/pinto bean supper, bake sale and auction for cancer patient Larry France. The benefit will be held Saturday with the meal starting at 4:30 p.m. until and auction starting at 5 p.m. Cost for the meal is donation only, plates will consist of hot dog, chips, drink and dessert or pinto beans, slaw, cornbread, dessert and drink. All proceeds will go to Larry France to assist with expenses endured over the past few years of battling cancer. Anyone with questions may contact Pastor Dean Eaton at 786-8772 at the church.
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church will have a spring fling bazaar Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the gym, 2063 S. Main St., Mount Airy. This will benefit funds for a new fellowship hall addition. Vendors interested in setting up should call 755-9403.
• Fancy Gap Baptist Church, 1161 W. Lebanon St., Mount Airy, will have a soup kitchen Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Epworth United Methodist Church will be having a ham and egg breakfast on Saturday from 6 to 10 a.m. Plates are $6 with carryouts available. All proceeds will benefit the building fund.
• Highland Park Baptist Church on Grove Lane, Mount Airy, will have a clothes giveaway Saturday as part of its Inasmuch program.
• Salem United Methodist Church, 2591 Wards Gap Road, will have a spaghetti dinner Saturday from 4 to 7 p.m. Menu includes spaghetti, salad, Texas toast, dessert and drink. Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children.
• The Fellowship Church in Ararat, Va., beside Blue Ridge Elementary School, is hosting a spaghetti supper on April 27 from 3 to 7 p.m. The meal will include spaghetti, salad, a roll, dessert and a drink. Cost is donations only, and takeout will be available. Proceeds will help support the church and its ministries. For more information, call the church office at 276-251-5879.
• Blues Grove Baptist Church is sponsoring a car wash April 28 at Advance Auto in Dobson from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Hot dogs, chips and drinks will be available as well. Cost is donations only.
• Hunter’s Chapel Church, Ararat Highway, Ararat, Va., will have a big yard sale on April 28 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Breakfast will include sausage biscuits and gravy, with hot dogs for lunch.
• The Blue Ridge CareNet Counseling Center is hosting Jo Anne North Goetz, an inspirational speaker and co-author of “Long Time Coming: My Life and the Darryl Hunt Lesson” on May 18. The event will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the fellowship hall of Haymore Memorial Baptist Church. The meal is being catered by Gondola Italian Restaurant and will include lasagna, salad, dessert and a drink. Proceeds will be used to maintain the center’s professional counseling ministry in the community, including subsidy for non-insured and under insured clients. For more information or to acquire a ticket, call Marie Conzone at 786-5185.
• Gary York will be the guest speaker at 11 a.m. Sunday at Pilot Mountain Friends Meeting.
• Mount View Pentecostal Holiness Church will have revival featuring Bishop Tommy McGhee of Cornerstone Conference Sunday at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Monday through Wednesday at 7 p.m. There will be special singing with each service. For more information, call Golden Epperson at 276-251-5874, Charles Martin at 786-2995 or Leon Hooker at 351-2744.
• Family Fellowship Chapel, 2237 S. McKinney Road, Mount Airy, will have worship night Sunday featuring Tree of Life Orchestra at 6 p.m.
• Welcome Baptist Church, Welcome Church Road, in Bannertown community, will have revival Sunday at 6 p.m. and Monday through Wednesday at 7 p.m. with speaker the Rev. Keith Jones. There will be special singing each night.
• Blues Grove Baptist Church will have its spring revival Sunday through Thursday with guest speaker Sammy Lawson and special singing each night.
• Shining Light Baptist Church, 1056 Pipers Gap Road, will have revival featuring Evangelist Bro. Leon Holyfield Sunday at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Monday through next Friday at 7 p.m. There will be special singing. For more information, call 786-6057.
• Gospel Mission Baptist, 1046 Linville Road, Mount Airy, will have revival Sunday through next Friday featuring Bro. Rayton Puckett. Services will be at 11 a.m. Sunday and each night at 7 p.m. There will be special singing nightly.
• Union Hill Missionary Baptist church at Mountain Park will have revival Wednesday through next Friday at 7 p.m. featuring guest preacher, the Rev. Don Ball. There will be special singing each night.
• Hunter’s Chapel Church, Ararat Highway, Ararat, Va., will have revival April 29-May 1 at 7 p.m. Speakers are Israel Easter on Sunday, Ed Bowman on Monday and Donnie Hooker on Tuesday. Special singing will be held nightly.
• Paul’s Creek Baptist Church, Cana, Va., will have revival April 29-May 2 at 7 p.m. with the Rev. Larry Stone as speaker. Special singing will feature Anchored in Jesus Church Choir on Sunday, Heaven’s Touch on Monday, West Side Baptist Church Choir on Tuesday and Paul’s Creek Church Choir and Singers on Wednesday.
• New Life Baptist Church, 411 New Life Church Road, will have revival services April 29-May 2 starting at 7 p.m. The Rev. Sammy Lawson will be guest speaker. There will be special singing each evening.
• Turkey Ford Baptist Church will have revival services April 29-May 2, beginning at 7 p.m. The speaker will be the Rev. Dwight Sechrist, pastor of Fancy Gap Baptist Church. There will be special singing nightly, and prayer room at 6:45 p.m. Also, David Goins will share his testimony at the 11 a.m. service April 29.
• Albion Missionary Baptist Church, 131 Big Sky Trail, Mount Airy, will have a gospel singing with the Bledsoes at 7 p.m. April 28. For more information or directions, call the Rev. Odell Sisk at 368-4102, Tina Abbott at 351-3332 or Fronia Gravely at 351-3817.
• Mount View Pentecostal Holiness Church will have David Goins of Flat Rock in concert April 29 at 6 p.m. For more information, call Golden Epperson at 276-251-5874, Charles Martin at 786-2995 or Leon Hooker at 351-2744.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, is hosting a Fifth Sunday singing on April 29. Desserts and hors d’oeuvres will be served in the fellowship hall at 5 p.m. with singing at 6 p.m. The featured group will be Harvest Time with Bruce Mosley.
• Flat Rock Baptist Church will have Flat Rock Community Kids Day Saturday from 4 to 7 p.m. with food, games and fun. For more information, call 786-7661.
• Women of Wisdom (W.O.W.) seventh annual conference will be April 28 at 2 p.m. at Old Town Baptist Church, 4386 Shattalon Drive, Winston-Salem, featuring guest speaker Kimberly Sowell of Kingdom Heart Ministry.
• Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church will be hosting a ladies conference on May 5 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The guest speaker will be Melanie Summey from Galax, Va. A catered lunch will be served at a cost of $6. The church is at 922 Banner St., Mount Airy. Registration and payment deadline is April 27. Contact Tanya Benfield at 719-0084 for more information.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• Calvary Baptist Church has opened a clothes closet ministry on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. If someone is in need of clothes at other times, call the church office at 786-4778.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., has the following weekly events: worship is Sunday at 10 a.m., Sunday school for all ages is at 11:10 a.m., Kids Club is most Sundays at 5:30 p.m., youth meet Sundays from 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Prayer Group meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Bible study is offered on Thursdays at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5627 weekdays.
• St. Paul Church of the Brethren, 64 Short Drive, Cana, Va., has Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship services at 11 a.m. every Sunday. Bible study is every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Tuesday from 1 to 3 p.m. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• New Vision Christian Academy, 237 Coolidge Ave., Mount Airy, is accepting new students. Open enrollment is for grades one through 12. For more information, call the Flat Rock Church of God at 719-0434.
• The Inspiration Center, 154 N. Renfro St., Suite 100, Mount Airy, offers services on Sundays at 11 a.m. Susie Cooper, spiritual leader, offers special music on the harp and flute.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school each Sunday at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesday each week at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.