Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• The Blue Ridge CareNet Counseling Center is hosting Jo Anne North Goetz, an inspirational speaker and co-author of “Long Time Coming: My Life and the Darryl Hunt Lesson” today. The event will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the fellowship hall of Haymore Memorial Baptist Church. The meal is being catered by Gondola Italian Restaurant and will include lasagna, salad, dessert and a drink. Proceeds will be used to maintain the center’s professional counseling ministry in the community, including subsidy for non-insured and under insured clients. For more information or to acquire a ticket, call Marie Conzone at 786-5185.
• Charity Baptist Church will have a pancake breakfast at the Beulah Ruritan Club Saturday from 6 to 11 a.m. to benefit a handicap bathroom addition at the church. The meal will include pancakes, eggs, sausage, drinks and more at a cost of $5. Eat-in and take-out are available.
• Oak Grove United Methodist Church will have a yard sale Saturday at 7 a.m. There will be sausage biscuits and many bargains.
• Holly Springs Baptist Church, 396 Holly Springs Church Road, will have a yard sale sponsored by the Baptist Young Women Saturday from 7 a.m. to noon. Donations will be accepted. All proceeds benefit the N.C. Baptist Children’s Home.
• Franklin Heights United Methodist Church, 416 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy, will host a yard and bake sale Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. inside the church. There will be some small pieces of furniture and sewing machines included for sale. Proceeds benefit the church.
• Flippin Memorial Baptist Church, McBride Road, will have a yard and bake sale on Saturday from 7 a.m. until in the fellowship hall to benefit “Smiles” Children with cleft lips palate needing surgery. All donations will be taken today. To donate, call Junior McRoberts at 789-1764.
• Pilot Mountain Friends Meeting will host Bracky Rogers at the guest speaker for Sunday’s 11 a.m. service.
• Mt. View Pentecostal Holiness Church will have homecoming Sunday at 10 a.m. with the Rev. Harold Cox as guest speaker. Lunch will follow in the fellowship hall. For more information, call Golden Epperson at 276-251-5874, Leon Hooker at 351-2744 or Charles Martin at 786-2995.
• Solid Rock Baptist Church will have revival Sunday through Thursday. Pastor is Bro. Roy Quesenberry and preacher is the Rev. Sammy Lawson. Times are Sunday at 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday. There will be special singing nightly. For more information, call 276-755-3847.
•New Life Baptist Church, 411 New Life Church Road, Mount Airy, will have a Memorial Day service on May 27 at 10 a.m. and homecoming at 11 a.m. Anyone with family or loved ones buried in the cemetery are invited to come and place a flag on their grave. Flags will be furnished. After the memorial service, the 11 a.m. homecoming will be held. For more information, call Jenny Isaacs at 352-3557 or Jimmie Stone at 352-4184.
• Hatchers Chapel United Methodist Church, 268 Hatchers Chapel Road, Claudville, Va., will host Parables of Christ in concert Saturday at 7 p.m.
• Mount Zion Baptist Church, Ararat, will be having a gospel singing Sunday at 6 p.m. with the Kinders.
• Woodville Baptist Church, 5108 Westfield Road, will have a gospel singing May 27 at 6 p.m. with Noah’s Faith. A love offering will be taken.
• Faith Tabernacle E.P. Church, 559 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy, will have its annual youth crusade today through Sunday. The schedule is today at 7:30 p.m. guest preacher Evangelist Judy Mayfield of Mocksville; Saturday at 7:30 p.m. guest preacher Bishop David Chambers of Salisbury; Sunday at 10 a.m. Bishop Danny Gist of Mount Airy; and Sunday at noon Chief Overseer Essie Beele Gist, founder and pastor of Faith Tabernacle. For more information or transportation, call 325-8081 or 789-1569.
• Vacation Bible School at New Hope Baptist Church, 818 Prison Camp Road, Dobson, is set for June 3-8 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Supper will be served each night at 6 p.m. For all ages from pre-k to adults. For more information, contact Lisa at 429-6287.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact email@example.com or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• Calvary Baptist Church has opened a clothes closet ministry on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. If someone is in need of clothes at other times, call the church office at 786-4778.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., has the following weekly events: worship is Sunday at 10 a.m., Sunday school for all ages is at 11:10 a.m., Kids Club is most Sundays at 5:30 p.m., youth meet Sundays from 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Prayer Group meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Bible study is offered on Thursdays at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5627 weekdays.
• St. Paul Church of the Brethren, 64 Short Drive, Cana, Va., has Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship services at 11 a.m. every Sunday. Bible study is every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Tuesday from 1 to 3 p.m. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• New Vision Christian Academy, 237 Coolidge Ave., Mount Airy, is accepting new students. Open enrollment is for grades one through 12. For more information, call the Flat Rock Church of God at 719-0434.
• The Inspiration Center, 154 N. Renfro St., Suite 100, Mount Airy, offers services on Sundays at 11 a.m. Susie Cooper, spiritual leader, offers special music on the harp and flute.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school each Sunday at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesday each week at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.