Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to email@example.com before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Amazing Grace Baptist Church will have a Todd Tolbert fundraiser golf tournament today with prayer at 10:30 a.m., registration at 11 a.m., buffet from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and shotgun at 1:30 p.m. Cost is $75 per person or $300 per team. There will be free PGA instruction, and door prizes at every other hole. To sponsor, sign up, donate or for more information, call Tommy Gibson at 710-6591.
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church, 2063 S. Main St., will have a yard sale and bazaar Saturday from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event will benefit the youth conference.
• Flat Top Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery Trust Fund will host a benefit Saturday from 4 p.m. until at the Old Beulah School cafeteria. The cost is donations only, and includes a hot dog supper with trimmings that is eat in or take out and live entertainment by The Round Peak Ramblers. Raffle tickets, available the day of or from committee members, will be drawn for a 19.5 horsepower 42-in. cut John Deere lawn mower, $100 gas and a 50/50 drawing. For more information, tickets or to make a donation, call any committee member: Kim Bullins, 351-5064; Sherry Thompson, 352-4526; Joy Richardson, 320-2904; Ruth Oakley, 352-4416; Clarence Goings, 783-9165; Podge Atkins, 352-3248; Ward Hodges, 352-4389; Carol Shackelford, 352-4295; Charles Golding, 366-2424; or Doris Scott, 352-4094.
• An annual community benefit gospel singing will be held Sept. 8 from 4 p.m. until at a location on Round Peak Church Road, two miles off of N.C. 89 West. Admission is free, but food will be available for purchase. Singers include Robin Hardin, Mike Jones, David Goins, Oak Ridge Singers, Beulah Land Praise Team and more. Funds will benefit Haley and Carolyn Cockerham. Those attending should bring a lawn chair. In the case of rain, the singing will be moved to Oak Grove Baptist Church.
• Matt Linville will be the guest speaker at 11 a.m. at Pilot Mountain Friends Meeting on Sunday.
• The seventh annual Thunder at The Rock will be Sunday with service starting at 10 a.m. featuring drama “When the Unseen Becomes Reality” at The Rock Church, 416 W. King St., King. There will be a free lunch and a motorcycle ride following lunch.
• Day Spring Baptist Church, White Dirt Road, Dobson, will have its homecoming Sunday. Pastor Bro. Roger Pickett will deliver the sermon. The service will begin at 10:30 a.m., and a meal will follow in the fellowship hall. For more information, call Pickett at 835-3221 or Nancy Cavanaugh at 386-4002.
• Family Fellowship Chapel, 2237 McKinney Road, will be having Friends and Family Sunday this Sunday at 10 a.m. Following the special service, there will be a fellowship meal in the gym. For more information, call 783-0949.
• Flat Rock Pentecostal Holiness Church, East Pine Street and Pentecostal Church Road, will have revival services Sunday through Wednesday featuring the Rev. Van Bloss as preacher. Several local churches will be providing special singing during each service. Sunday services will be at 10:50 a.m. and 6 p.m., and weeknights at 7 p.m. For more information, call Dr. David Sparks, pastor, at 325-9667.
• Solid Rock Baptist Church, Fish Lake Road, Cana, Va., off Epworth Church Road, will have revival Thursday and next Friday featuring Bro. Don Collins at 7:30 p.m. There will be special singing. For more information, call 276-755-3847.
• Friendly Tabernacle, 482 McBride Road, Mount Airy, will be having a 60th-year celebration and homecoming service Sept. 9 with Sunday school at 10 a.m. The Rev. Roby Wilcox will be preaching, and there will be special singing featuring the Gospel Light Trio and others during the 11 a.m. worship service. There will be a covered-dish lunch in the fellowship hall. For more information, call the church secretary/clerk Janice Pell King at 325-6049.
• Imogene Baptist Church, 2372 N. Andy Griffith Parkway, Mount Airy, will have homecoming Sept. 16 and revival Sept. 17-19 featuring guest speakers, Bro. Don Ball and Bro. Rayton Puckett. There will be special singing nightly.
• Antioch Baptist Church, N.C. 89 West, Mount Airy, will have Sportsmen’s Day Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Participants include National Wild Turkey Federation, Christian Bass Anglers, Women in the Outdoors, Copeland Archery, Lone Wolf Taxidermy and more. Free events include casting contests, turkey calling school, rifle and bow shooting as well as children’s activities. There will be a free BBQ lunch and speaker Randy Parrish. Grand prize is a custom-fitted Martin bow.
• A free one-day women’s conference is planned Saturday at First Samuel Grove P.P. Baptist Church, 765 Willis Gap Road, Ararat, Va. The theme is “The Unveiling - Take away the Mask, 2nd Corinthians 12:8-9.” It will be sponsored by the Women’s Auxiliary. It begins with breakfast at 9 a.m. followed by discussions and information on health, finance, fashion, Christianity/spiritual growth, dating, marriage, family, education and more. Following a lunch, there will be a beauty makeover.
• Central United Methodist Church, 1909 N. Main St., Mount Airy, has Sunday services with the Rev. James Pyatt with early morning worship at 9 a.m., adult gathering at 9:45 a.m., Sunday school for children, youth and adults at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. A nursery is available. The church is conducting a food drive for Yokefellow with peanut butter and crackers on the August list. Donations may be placed in the lower church lobby or monetary gifts may be contributed.
• The Family Worship Center, 298 Athey Simmons Road, Mount Airy, has Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. For more information, call 368-9646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact email@example.com or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• Calvary Baptist Church will resume Wednesday evening activities on Aug. 15 with a fellowship meal at 5:45 p.m., youth and children activities at 6:30 p.m. and adult classes at 6:30 p.m. The clothes closet is open from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Call 786-4778.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• Flat Rock Presbyterian Church, N.C. 103 and Quarry Trail, has Sunday school every Sunday at 10 a.m. followed by traditional worship service at 11 a.m. Nursery is provided for both.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., has the following weekly events: worship is Sunday at 10 a.m., Sunday school for all ages is at 11:10 a.m., Kids Club is most Sundays at 5:30 p.m., youth meet Sundays from 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Prayer Group meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Bible study is offered on Thursdays at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5627 weekdays.
• St. Paul Church of the Brethren, 64 Short Drive, Cana, Va., has Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship services at 11 a.m. every Sunday. Bible study is every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• New Vision Christian Academy, 237 Coolidge Ave., Mount Airy, is accepting new students. Open enrollment is for grades one through 12. For more information, call the Flat Rock Church of God at 719-0434.
• The Inspiration Center, 154 N. Renfro St., Suite 100, Mount Airy, offers services on Sundays at 11 a.m. Susie Cooper, spiritual leader, offers special music on the harp and flute.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school each Sunday at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesday each week at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.