Mount Airy Fire Department Chief Zane Poindexter has released more information on a structure fire at the Salvation Army Family Store on Fredrick Street on Wednesday.
Poindexter reported the fire’s cause has been ruled accidental, unintentional and the result of mechanical malfunction. A total of three engines, a ladder truck, support vehicle and 14 personnel were used to contain the fire to its point of origin, a professional cleaning machine in Professional Rental Services that generates heat.
Franklin Volunteer Fire Department, Surry County Emergency Medical Services and Mount Airy Rescue also were dispatched in connection with the fire. Poindexter’s report lists the time the alarm was received at 6:01 p.m. with the first unit arriving two minutes and 35 seconds later. The situation was brought under control a little after 6:14 p.m.
The owner/occupant is listed as Professional Rental Services. Estimated damage to the property is $5,000 and the cleaning machine is valued at $140,000. There were no civilian or fire department injuries.