A blaze originating from a heating source in a bathroom displaced two members of a Surry County family Friday morning, according to a fire official.
The incident was reported about 8 a.m. at 198 W. Cleve St. in the Pine Ridge community, the home of Wanda Gravley and her adult son.
Members of the Pine Ridge, Franklin and Skull volunteer fire departments responded to the scene and were able to bring the flames under control. The fire — which caused no injuries — stemmed from combustibles being too near a heating source positioned along a wall in the bathroom, and igniting.
The fire damage was contained to the bathroom and adjoining hallway of the single-story brick ranch home with a basement, located off Pine Ridge Road. “There was significant heat damage throughout the house,” added Jason Burkholder, fire inspector with the Surry County Fire Marshal’s Office.
Burkholder credited the quality construction of the older home, built at a time when more substantial materials were used compared to today, with limiting the damage.
“The sheetrock did its job and helped contain the fire mostly to the main floor, so that was a good thing,” he said.
Still, Gravley and her son were displaced by the blaze that has been ruled accidental in nature. The two now are staying with friends and also have received food and clothing assistance from the local American Red Cross chapter.
Firfighters remained at the scene for about two hours.
Reach Tom Joyce at 719-1924 or firstname.lastname@example.org.