Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to email@example.com before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Holy Angels Catholic Church’s Columbiettes will host the annual Mardi Gras Party for those 18 years and older Feb. 8 from 6 to 10 p.m. There will be door prizes and a 50/50 raffle, as well as dinner, music and dancing. Costumes are optional. Dinner includes gumbo, red beans and rice, jambalaya and New Orleans King Cake. Tickets cost $10 in advance and $13 at the door, and proceeds benefit the Columbiettes and their community projects. For more information, call Adreann Belle at 710-1481 or Marge Johnson at 655-9056.
• Second Chance Church, 449 Bear Creek Church Road, Dobson, will have its annual month of revival in January. Wednesday services will be at 7 p.m., and Sunday services will be at 6 p.m. Revivals are Jan. 13 with Pastor Bill Jenkins; Jan. 16 with Pastor Kenneth Hairston; Jan. 20 with Pastor Ronnie Houser; Jan. 23 with Pastor Doug Cothrin; Jan. 27 with Pastor Butch Holder; and Jan. 30 with Pastor Willie Bryant.
• Bannertown Baptist Church will host revival services Sunday through Wednesday with Evangelist the Rev. Frank Shivers. The Sunday services are at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., and Monday through Wednesday services are at 7 p.m. Special singing will be provided each service, and nursery will be available. For more information, call 786-5407.
• New Birth Church, 574 Slate Road, Mount Airy, will hold a special service Jan. 20 at 11 a.m. to welcome new pastor and his wife, Dana and Debbie Cook. There will be special singing by The Willing Vessels and Dana Cook will offer the message. There will be a covered-dish meal afterwards.
• Woodland Baptist Church will host a revival Jan. 20-23 at 6 p.m. on Sunday and 7 p.m. Monday through Wednesday. Singing will be the Martin Family Sunday, Shining Light Monday, Narrow Road Tuesday and Woodland Wednesday. Bro. Don Ball will be guest speaker. For more information, call 710-6220.
• Woodville Baptist Church, 5108 Westfield Road, Mount Airy, will host a gospel singing Jan. 20 at 6 p.m. featuring Noah’s Faith. A love offering will be taken.
• Blue Ridge CareNet Counseling will host a concert featuring Chi Rho, a group of Wake Forest University singers, on Jan. 27 at 3 p.m. in the sanctuary of First Baptist Church of Mount Airy. Proceeds from the love offering will support the counseling group in providing free or reduced-fee counseling to the community.
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church has a new prayer meeting open to the community on Thursdays at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. The primary purpose is to pray for the nation, state, county, churches and pastors.
• New Beginnings Community Church, 1790 Pipers Gap Road, Cana, Va., will host Awakening Women’s Conference Jan. 19 at 10 a.m. The day will feature inspired teaching, live worship, testimonies and free lunch.
• Antioch Baptist Church, 137 Antioch Ave., Mount Airy, is hosting free English classes on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Childcare is provided during the class. For more information, call 789-2057 weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The church also is holding free bingo the third Thursday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon.
• The Lions Den Christian Coffeehouse, 162A W. Pine St., is a donations-only coffeehouse open Tuesday through Friday from 4 to 8 or 9 p.m. The coffeehouse offers a free dinner each Friday at 5 p.m. by Maranatha Homeless Outreach. The location offers wifi connection, and contemporary Christian bands on Fridays when available. Also it is the home of Safehouse Ministries meetings Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 10 a.m. For more information, call the Rev. Gary Gossett at 710-7075.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• DivorceCare, an outreach of Freedom and Liberty Worship Center, meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Armfield Civic Center, Pilot Mountain. Call 648-3680 for more information.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact email@example.com or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.