Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church, 2063 S. Main St., Mount Airy, will host Christmas in the Foothills bazaar Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the church gym. There will be crafts, direct sales and food available, and proceeds benefit the church fellowship hall.
• Handmade quilts by the ladies of Friendly Chapel Church of Pilot Mountain are being sold at a cost of $30 and up to benefit local nursing homes. All size quilts are available, and in many designs, including college football teams and NFL football teams. For more information, call 789-5411 or 971-4062.
• Crestview Memorial Park in Rural Hall will have a luminary lighting on Saturday from 6 to 8 p.m. For more information, call 336-969-6793.
• Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy, has two special services planned. On Dec. 16, the adult choir, musicians and readers will present “Hope Arriving,” an advent worship experience, at 11 a.m. On Dec. 16 at 5 p.m., the children of the church will present “A Rockin’ Royal Christmas.”
• Willow Hill Moravian Church will hold Christmas Lovefeasts and Candlelight Services on Dec. 23 at 5 p.m. and Dec. 25 at 7 p.m. For driving directions, visit www.willowhillmoravian.org or call 325-7715.
• Bannertown Baptist Church will host revival services Jan. 13-16 with Evangelist the Rev. Frank Shivers. The Sunday services are at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., and Monday through Wednesday services are at 7 p.m. Special singing will be provided each service, and nursery will be available. For more information, call 786-5407.
• Old Siloam Church, 189 Hardy Road, Siloam, will have a gospel singing featuring Jerusalem Way Saturday at 7 p.m. There is no charge, but a love offering will be taken. For more information, call 374-2870 or 336-983-9117.
• Double Creek Church of Christ, 674 Double Creek Road, Dobson, will play host to a community Christmas cantata, “The Gift Goes On,” featuring members of several local churches, on Sunday at 6 p.m. For more information or directions, call 783-7635.
• “The Love of God at Christmas” musical drama under the direction of Connie Bishop will be held at Mountain View Pentecostal Holiness Church, 497 Hatchers Chapel Road, Claudville, Va., Dec. 16 at 6 p.m. Refreshments will follow the program. For more information, call Connie Bishop at 276-694-6895, Golden Epperson at 276-251-5874, Charles Martin at 786-2995 or Leon Hooker at 351-2744.
• Pine Ridge Baptist Church will have a drive-through live nativity Saturday and Sunday from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Albion Missionary Baptist Church, 131 Big Sky Trail, Mount Airy, will present the Christmas play, “I Have Seen the Light,” Saturday at 7 p.m.
• Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson, will present “Come See the Lamb,” a musical drama, Sunday at 6 p.m. Admission is free, and the church will be accepting canned food for Foothills Food Pantry. For more information, call 374-4419 or visit www.salembaptistdobson.org.
• Hill’s Grove Baptist Church, 1318 Pilot Power Dam Road, Pilot Mountain, will host the Sonshine Puppets Sunday at 6 p.m. For more information, call the Rev. Terry and Mildred Watson at 320-2671.
• Antioch Baptist Church, 137 Antioch Ave., Mount Airy, is hosting free English classes on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Childcare is provided during the class. For more information, call 789-2057 weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon or email email@example.com.
• The Lions Den Christian Coffeehouse, 162A W. Pine St., is a donations-only coffeehouse open Tuesday through Friday from 4 to 8 or 9 p.m. The coffeehouse offers a free dinner each Friday at 5 p.m. by Maranatha Homeless Outreach. The location offers wifi connection, and contemporary Christian bands on Fridays when available. Also it is the home of Safehouse Ministries meetings Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 10 a.m. For more information, call the Rev. Gary Gossett at 710-7075.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church has Sunday school each Sunday at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Nursery is available.
• Central United Methodist Church, 1909 N. Main St., Mount Airy, has Sunday services with the Rev. James Pyatt with early morning worship at 9 a.m., adult gathering at 9:45 a.m., Sunday school for children, youth and adults at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. A nursery is available.
• The Family Worship Center, 298 Athey Simmons Road, Mount Airy, has Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. For more information, call 368-9646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• DivorceCare, an outreach of Freedom and Liberty Worship Center, meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Armfield Civic Center, Pilot Mountain. Call 648-3680 for more information.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact email@example.com or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• Flat Rock Presbyterian Church, N.C. 103 and Quarry Trail, has Sunday school every Sunday at 10 a.m. followed by traditional worship service at 11 a.m. Nursery is provided for both.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., has the following weekly events: worship is Sunday at 10 a.m., Sunday school for all ages is at 11:10 a.m., Kids Club is most Sundays at 5:30 p.m., youth meet Sundays from 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Prayer Group meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Bible study is offered on Thursdays at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5627 weekdays.
• St. Paul Church of the Brethren, 64 Short Drive, Cana, Va., has Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship services at 11 a.m. every Sunday. Bible study is every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• New Vision Christian Academy, 237 Coolidge Ave., Mount Airy, is accepting new students. Open enrollment is for grades one through 12. For more information, call the Flat Rock Church of God at 719-0434.
• The Inspiration Center, 154 N. Renfro St., Suite 100, Mount Airy, offers services on Sundays at 11 a.m. Susie Cooper, spiritual leader, offers special music on the harp and flute.
Megan Mabe, Brooke Kiger, Brooke Martin, Nicole Rogers and Maggie Abbott.
learning valuable lessons by working toward goals. . G
play in threesomes with girls from other schools, develop a friendship with their rivals.