Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to email@example.com before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• First United Methodist Church of Pilot Mountain will host its Sweet Repeats 2013 spring/summer children’s consignment sale today and Saturday featuring gently used children’s spring and summer clothing, toys, baby equipment, maternity clothing and more. Times are today from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon. Those interested in consigning can pick up an information pack and registration form at the church office or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request one. Registration deadline is March 6.
• Wards Gap Church, corner of Epworth and Wards Gap roads, Cana, Va., will hold its annual ham dinner Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Menu consists of spiral-sliced ham, green beans, slaw and dessert for $6.50. It is eat in or take out. Snow date is March 25.
• This year’s Lent services for First Church of the Brethren, St. Paul Church of the Brethren and Shelton Church of the Brethren are each Sunday at 6 p.m. The schedule is Sunday at St. Paul with the combined choir; and March 24 at Shelton featuring an Easter play. Easter Sunrise service will be held March 31 at Riverside Park at 7 p.m.
• Anchor Baptist Church, 1298 Ararat Road, Pilot Mountain, will hold revival Sunday through Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. featuring the Rev. Buddy Wishon as guest speaker. Music will be provided by Poplar Springs Baptist Church choir Monday, Blackwater Community Church choir Tuesday and special singers Wednesday. Nursery will be provided with speakers.
• Union Hill Missionary Baptist Church, 1266 Union Hill Road, Thurmond, will have revival March 25-27 at 7 p.m. with Pastor Mike Sage of Freedom Tabernacle Baptist Church, Atkins, Va., as guest preacher. Special choir singing each day from local churches.
• Bryant’s Chapel Church, 1474 Radar Road, Ararat, will hold revival March 25-28 with guest speaker Preacher Gene Gouge.
• Woodville Baptist Church, 5108 Westfield Road, will hold an Easter Candlelight Communion Service March 29 at 7:30 p.m.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., Mount Airy, will have a number of services and programs during the Lenten season leading up to Easter. They include Lenten study series each Wednesday Feb. 20 through March 20 with meal at 5:30 p.m. and study from 6 to 6:50 p.m.; Palm Sunday Lovefeast at 7 p.m. March 24; Holy Week reading services at 7 p.m. March 25-27 in the fellowship hall with a prayer garden; The Commanded Communion at 7 p.m. March 28; Crucifixion service at 2:15 p.m. March 29; Good Friday service at 7 p.m. March 29; and Easter Sunrise Service at 7 a.m. March 31.
• Albion Missionary Baptist Church, Albion Church Road off N.C. 89, will host a singing featuring Jerusalem Way on March 23 at 7 p.m.
• Mountain View Baptist Church, Lowgap, will host Sunday School Slam March 17 and 24 at 10 a.m. with Bible study at 10 a.m. and special speakers and music at 11 a.m.
• Women of Faith, Living by Faith meeting will be Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Lantern Restaurant in Dobson. Joni Hunt will share her testimony, and JoJo’s Florist will be featured. Music will be by Millette Wall. For more information, call 648-9385.
• Salem Baptist Church, Dobson, will host their Easter dramatic musical, “Bow the Knee,” March 21-24 at 7 p.m. For group reservations, call 374-4419. For more information, go to salembaptistdobson.org.
• Franklin Heights and Maple Grove United Methodist churches present the 2013 Easter drama March 26 and 27 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. at Franklin Heights UMC, 416 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy. There will be a drive-through drama of the nine scenes of Holy Week.
• Grace Moravian Church will holds its annual Easter egg hunt March 30 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The Easter Bunny will be on hand for pictures, and there will be games, crafts and prizes. Those attending should bring an Easter basket. The hunt is sponsored by the church’s Christian Education Committee and the Jonathan Pruett Sunday school class.
• Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church, 922 Banner St., Mount Airy, will host a Ladies Conference on April 13 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Guest speakers will be Margaret Johnson of WXII and Roberta Brunck. A catered lunch will be served at a cost of $6. Registration and payment deadline is April 3. For more information, call Tanya Benfield at 719-0084.
• First Presbyterian Church of Mount Airy, South Main Street, will have Sandwich Saturdays the first Saturday of each month from 11:30 a.m. to noon. Bag lunches will include a sandwich, chips, apple and bottled water.
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church has a new prayer meeting open to the community on Thursdays at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. The primary purpose is to pray for the nation, state, county, churches and pastors.
• Antioch Baptist Church, 137 Antioch Ave., Mount Airy, is hosting free English classes on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Childcare is provided during the class. For more information, call 789-2057 weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon or email email@example.com. The church also is holding free bingo the third Thursday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon.
• The Lions Den Christian Coffeehouse, 162A W. Pine St., is a donations-only coffeehouse open Tuesday through Friday from 4 to 8 or 9 p.m. The coffeehouse offers a free dinner each Friday at 5 p.m. by Maranatha Homeless Outreach. The location offers wifi connection, and contemporary Christian bands on Fridays when available. Also it is the home of Safehouse Ministries meetings Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 10 a.m. For more information, call the Rev. Gary Gossett at 710-7075.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• DivorceCare, an outreach of Freedom and Liberty Worship Center, meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Armfield Civic Center, Pilot Mountain. Call 648-3680 for more information.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.